Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

OCD and cooking

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,957 Disability Gamechanger
This probably isn't a good post for anyone else with OCD but I'm just wondering if anyone has some tips, particularly about preparing meat. 

It's not often I eat meat, like next to never, but I've really fancied sausages for ages so I bought some and they go out of date tomorrow (I can't eat them tomorrow as that's another issue I have, even this close to a use by date is a struggle for me).

So I poured them out onto the tray and they piled ontop of each other. I debated lots of options to move them apart and tried shaking the tray but they wouldn't budge, so I used my finger tips on just one hand to spread them. 

Then felt like my whole hand is just awful and infected and spent a long long LONG time washing and scrubbing. Then the sink because the germs would now be on the sink, and then my hands again, and then the kitchen surfaces and bin just in case. And then hands again. Then my mind started thinking about the raw meat where itis on the oven tray and although sense tells me it's cooking in the oven I can't get over it and my hands feel gross and I don't want to touch anything with that hand now and I know I also won't eat the sausages now.

How do other people get out of this cycle and actually prepare food, particularly meat products? 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a shame you won't eat them, will you feel better with veggy sausages, some can be tasty like the quorn ones. 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I would have used 2 forks to separate them and put them into whatever you were cooking them in.

Then put the forks into a bowl of hot washing up water which I had already got ready.

You could try using surgical gloves. 

Once they get nice and hot in the oven or under the grill the heat will kill any germs.

You could spray the surfaces with a Dettol type surface cleaner.

Or just eat veggy ones like @Sandy_123 says.  They are very tasty.
  • Starlingbird
    Starlingbird Community member Posts: 169 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Biblioklept,

I also have OCD, but have an issue with human germs and potential 'stuff' from humans. I can certainly empathise with your problems. 

Talk yourself through it and apply logic. If my OCD tries to shout louder than my logic, I say outloud "It's just my OCD talking!" and keep repeating it.

If I look at the sausage scenario from a non-OCD viewpoint (which I am able to do because I don't have an issue with meat or anything from animals), I would say that meat isn't as germ-ridden as you think (regardless of what the media would have you think). Normal precautions are all that are needed. I deal with raw meat all the time because my dog is on a raw, human grade, diet. I just wash my hands as usual with anti-bac handwash and don't anti-bac surfaces unless any meat has dropped on them. And I have never been sick. I have only ever had food poisoning once and that was from a restaurant over 40 years ago! When you disinfect a surface ONCE, the germs are gone....dead germs don't die again with a second round of disinfectant...and IF a few did remain, the chances of getting sick from them is tiny (otherwise most people would be sick all the time and they are not!). 

You could wear disposable gloves to handle meat so that it doesn't come in contact with your skin if you're on a bad day.

Have you had any therapy for your OCD?

I like @Sandy_123's suggestion about veggie sausages! 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thank you guys a lot <3@Starlingbird @ShirleyW @Sandy_123

I've thought about veggie sausages, I just need to get over the thought of trying something new! :D 

@ShirleyW I know it's wasteful but I might get some surgical gloves or disposable cutlery to use (I've tried using normal ones for similar things before but then they never feel clean enough and I end up having to replace them which gets costly and is probably even more wasteful).

Thanks @Starlingbird. I also have it about human germs too, but meat and cooking in general is always a huge trigger for me. Thank you for sharing your experience. I wish I could only disinfect a surface once but it's been a long time since I've been able to leave it at that :disappointed:

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I never prepare stuff but I hate things like this:
    ketchup all over my chips 
    coleslaw on my salad 
    salad separate
    Pasta separate
    beans on top of my toast
    eggs on top of my toast
    nothing cut in half 
    none of my foods cut up 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Yeah I'm quite picky with how my food has to be too @durhamjaide2001. The smallest thing can really put me off it. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.