If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Breaking news

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,139 Championing
Firefighters vote in favour of strike action but no dates yet.

2024 Election won

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Championing
    Options
    Looks like teachers will also be going ahead with strikes after failed talks.

Teachers' strike to go ahead after education secretary 'squandered the opportunity' to avoid action (msn.com)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Championing
    Options
    Totally agree with you @Teddybear12, it all sounds perfectly reasonable, ie to have a rise to match high inflation but the consequence is that often it sends the inflation figure up and so people are no better off. The economy is a very complicated system though and I don't really understand how it all works.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I do think striking is the right way to go when talks fail though. Pay isn't the only thing being discussed but work conditions too. The fact they plan them ahead shows they want positive changes.

I actually couldn't imagine mass on the spot walk outs.
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Strangely enough public sector pay rises have no impact on inflation because the cost of goods and services don't have to rise in order to pay them, where the danger lies is if private sector employees see private sector pay increasing they then want more money. Private sector pay rises are currently running at around 7%.
    I may have said this before but we are paying the price now for years of poor public sector pay with pay freezes and below inflation rises, it's become a "perfect storm" with all that hitting an over 10% inflation this year.

2024 Election won

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @tomm I had thought the opposite, with the Royal Mail CEO in parliament the other week. There was apparent information from a whistleblower that parcels were to be prioritised 🤔
    Hannah - She / Her

• Jxx
    Jxx Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have three children and am directly impacted by the teacher strikes. My eldest is in their GCSE year and their school will close tomorrow. My middle child had complex needs and while their school remains open, they are combining classrooms to have 60-90 children in each covered by 1 teacher and going off-schedule. My child has had multiple meltdowns just at the thought of it and thus won't be able to attend school tomorrow. So I will have to take time off of work tomorrow unpaid. But I still support the strike action. Teachers, firefighters, NHS, everyone. 

• woodbine
    Options
    Tomorrow is the first day of strikes by teachers, the first as I understand it of 7 over coming weeks.
    Universities will be hit by strikes tomorrow and for 18 days over 7 weeks closing around 150 unis, ambulances are also striking next week.

Meanwhile the govt. seems unable and/or unwilling to enter into meaningful dialogue with the unions, do they really think we employ them to sit by as Rome burns? They should get off their ministerial behinds and do what we pay them to do.

2024 Election won

• Margare93222061
    Margare93222061 Community member Posts: 426 Empowering
    Options
    We are struggling with the cost of living.  There were strikes and inflation in the  nineteen seventies 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I didn't realise it would be 7 @woodbine
    Hannah - She / Her

If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.