10% increase - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

10% increase

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,830 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456
    So it’s government?

Not at all, it's nothing to do with the Government. Motability are a charity. See link. https://www.motability.co.uk/how-it-works/who-we-are/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Yes, exactly, they are a charity- a non profit charity. All the premiums for better, bigger  cars had already gone up considerably. My point was, this is a one off rise- 10.1% never happened before. It should be given to the customer. I’ve taken it up with them because I believe it’s very unfair. What’s the point of the government helping us for motability to take it all? I understand what you say Poppy, but this is a one off payment and should be treated separately in my view. Otherwise motability takes everyone’s rise. Incidentally, no one there could explain why every customer has to pay over £300 more. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,595 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    All benefits and state pensions will increase by 10%, most of the increases will be effective from next Monday, April 10th.
    really? where did you find out? Good news!
    It was announced in the budget
    The 10.1% increase was announced last November.
    poppy123456 said: For those claiming Universal Credit the increases will start from mid May but some won't see the increase until their June payment. 
    Not quite as late as June, rather May. The first UC assessment that gets the new increased rate is AP starting on 10th April which would therefore get the monthly payment on 16th May.
    I would have to disagree the 10.1% increases wasn't signposted until the budget, it was in line with Septembers CPI figure
    The link I posted above suggests otherwise. The last update of that link I posted was November 2022, which means Calcotti is correct. 
    Then if I'm wrong I stand corrected, doesn't alter the fact that 10% is the highest increase in living memory, which can only be good news and not one to be sniffed at :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    woodbine said:
    woodbine said:
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    All benefits and state pensions will increase by 10%, most of the increases will be effective from next Monday, April 10th.
    really? where did you find out? Good news!
    It was announced in the budget
    The 10.1% increase was announced last November.
    poppy123456 said: For those claiming Universal Credit the increases will start from mid May but some won't see the increase until their June payment. 
    Not quite as late as June, rather May. The first UC assessment that gets the new increased rate is AP starting on 10th April which would therefore get the monthly payment on 16th May.
    I would have to disagree the 10.1% increases wasn't signposted until the budget, it was in line with Septembers CPI figure
    The link I posted above suggests otherwise. The last update of that link I posted was November 2022, which means Calcotti is correct. 
    Then if I'm wrong I stand corrected, doesn't alter the fact that 10% is the highest increase in living memory, which can only be good news and not one to be sniffed at :)
    Indeed and I never suggested otherwise. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    ladyluck said:
    Please be mindful (as I had no idea) this cost of living rise is brilliant, so a Thankyou to the government- unless you have a motability car. The usual yearly raise  in dla and pip is tiny, but the government has decided to give us all help for cost of living. Motability,unfortunately, even though they are a not for profit company, take the whole 10.1% . Just letting you all know. 
    Had I realised this a few months ago, when I signed up, I would maybe have had second thoughts. As a newly disabled person I’m quite shocked at this. The only thing I could do is give up the car which I am dependent on. 
    Please bear in mind that the cost of secondhard cars has also shot up. People are p/x their two year old car for the same amount as they originally paid for it. On top of that the interest rate on cars has also shot up.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    ladyluck said:
    Yes, exactly, they are a charity- a non profit charity. All the premiums for better, bigger  cars had already gone up considerably. My point was, this is a one off rise- 10.1% never happened before. It should be given to the customer. I’ve taken it up with them because I believe it’s very unfair. What’s the point of the government helping us for motability to take it all? I understand what you say Poppy, but this is a one off payment and should be treated separately in my view. Otherwise motability takes everyone’s rise. Incidentally, no one there could explain why every customer has to pay over £300 more. 
    As pointed out, it states clearly whether or not your whole mobility allowance is used for a vehicle and this is what you sign up for.
    If you don`t want a Motability vehicle, the solution is simple: don`t have one.  Then you can pay for buying a new or 2nd hand car, recovery, insurance, MOTs, servicing and other repair work required.  All this is covered under your one payment, and one payment that I think is excellent value, regardless of the annual increase.
    Are you having the same "spitting dummy out" moment with any service providers you use? Most have an annual increase in fees of CPI plus n.n%.
  • ladyluck
    @cartini- I’ve already said what a brilliant ( car)  service it is. I’m newly disabled and was so pleased to hear about the  cost of living rise for all disabled people, we really all need help. Having lost my full time income, I was very glad of the news.   My mistake entirely,  for not understanding all the raise would go to the car company. There really is no need for insults. I joined the group for company and to ask questions, and make friends after a life changing diagnosis. Very upset at how harsh your post is. Words come quickly but have an impact. 

• Cartini
    ladyluck said:
    @cartini- I’ve already said what a brilliant ( car)  service it is. I’m newly disabled and was so pleased to hear about the  cost of living rise for all disabled people, we really all need help. Having lost my full time income, I was very glad of the news.   My mistake entirely,  for not understanding all the raise would go to the car company. There really is no need for insults. I joined the group for company and to ask questions, and make friends after a life changing diagnosis. Very upset at how harsh your post is. Words come quickly but have an impact. 

Hi,
    I`m sorry if you took my comments as an insult - they were not intended that way. I was making a comparison to owning a car and using a Motability vehicle.
    My "spitting dummy out" comment was meant to be a light-hearted reference to the fact that many people are having to pay more now, whether disabled or not.
    You have joined the right group and you will get very good advice from many people on here and you will make friends too.
    I am helpful and, believe it or not, I`m quite nice too but I can be blunt - there`s nothing I can do about that, that`s my nature.
    Andy
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,088 Disability Gamechanger
    Cartini is one of the good guys @ladyluck - he really is very nice, as well as helpful; don't always agree with everything he says, but do overall!  :)
  • ladyluck
  • poppy123456
    The saying is often true that "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover." I've always found Cartini to be very helpful, honest and a genuinely nice person and you can't ask for more than that.
  • Cartini
    Thank you both very much
    Andy

• MrWright
    MrWright Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    They should of kicked this off in March lol, because it is just confusing people saying April 10th cause most people don't no benefits are paid in arrears.
    Community connected by disability.

Make friends, share your experiences, get advice you need, and discuss issues that matter to you.
  • 2oldcodgers
    They should of kicked this off in March lol, because it is just confusing people saying April 10th cause most people don't no benefits are paid in arrears.
    Most if not all benefits were at one time partly paid in advance.
    This stopped when it was found that these 'advance' payments were hardly ever recovered by the DWP.
    So everything now is paid in arrear meaning that they are much able to control and hold on to the money longer.
    To the point people should not 'spend' money that is paid by the government before it is in their bank account. In my case my 4 weekly State Pension will not all be at the increased rate until at least a month after it was increased - Mid May for me.
  • Cartini
    Most if not all benefits were at one time partly paid in advance.
    This stopped when it was found that these 'advance' payments were hardly ever recovered by the DWP.
    So everything now is paid in arrear meaning that they are much able to control and hold on to the money longer.
    To the point people should not 'spend' money that is paid by the government before it is in their bank account. In my case my 4 weekly State Pension will not all be at the increased rate until at least a month after it was increased - Mid May for me.
    In all fairness, does it really matter when you get it? 
    I won`t see my War Pension increase until May; I know it will happen so it doesn`t bother me that it`s a month after the effective date of increase.  And before anyone says "you must be loaded" (or words to that effect) I`m not, I manage my money very carefully.

• 2oldcodgers
    Cartini said:

In all fairness, does it really matter when you get it? 
    I won`t see my War Pension increase until May; I know it will happen so it doesn`t bother me that it`s a month after the effective date of increase.  And before anyone says "you must be loaded" (or words to that effect) I`m not, I manage my money very carefully.

Well said.
    No doubt there are those that want their benefit payment the following day after claiming it!
    And to mirror your comment - I am not 'loaded' either budgeting is the only way forward for those on Welfare Benefits and Pensions.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.