Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Wobbley eyes

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,832 Disability Gamechanger
Having had problems with my eyes for 6 months I have seen a consultant this week who had some idea what the problem might be (I've forgotten the name of the condition) but my eyes shake from side to side and don't communicate with my brain the way they should, mainly due to brain damage caused by CVA's and TIA's plus 25 years of seizures.
I am being referred on to a more senior consultant but research tells me that there is probably no cure and my problems will get worse as times go on.

Luckily I am having my first appointment with a counsellor next week as my depression has gone through the roof.

As my vision worsens I am finding it harder to use the internet and still can't read even with glasses.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 22,285 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I am so sorry your eyesight continues to be a problem for you. You never know the senior consultant might come up with something and new drugs are being developed all the time. I hope your counselling next week helps you. Take care. @woodbine
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,934 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a shame @woodbine I had hoped the new glasses would help you. See what the consultant recommends and good luck with your councilling
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,137 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wonder if the name of the condition is 'nystagmus.' Now I know we're all different, but both my son & I have this, tho fortunately just at the extremes of our lateral vision. This is due to a neurological problem too, but I have to say I don't feel mine has worsened over the years; I do have to constantly scan the ground in front of me when walking or I can have the odd very wobbly moment especially if walking on grass or the ground is a bit uneven.
    I suppose I'm trying to say that perhaps I've adapted to it somewhat, & hope yours won't worsen, or become as bad as you expect. There won't be a cure, but sometimes there are ways of learning to adapt. You know we all wish you well.
  • woodbine
    Options
    @chiarieds  yes thats the name, I'd lost the paper I'd written it on, mine all started at the end of last year and if I'm honest over the last 6 months its got much much worse.
    I suppose it's not helped by the balance problems I'm having as well, but I do know I'm utterly fed up.
    I did read that Botox might be one solution but we will have to see.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine I'm so sorry you are going through so much. I do hope the appointments shed something good on a stressful situation. 

I also hope everything goes well with the counsellor. Please don't forget the community is here to support you too <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    Options
    As ever thanks all for your support, will keep you all updated with any progress xx

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.