Uber — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Uber

Prometheus2020
Prometheus2020 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
Due to illness I have been out of circulation for 2 and a half years. I have used Uber 4 times to visit a local men's social group just over a mile from here. I have been charged £5 for the journey and £11 for the same journey. The total cost has been between £16 & £18 return. I complained to Uber as I thought this was a rip off. They explained they use a 2.5 algorithm to deal with surges in demand to attract drivers to a local to pick up fares. Incredible!

I cannot sustain that long term. It means for now I only go out once a week.

Also my experience of drivers continues to vary from excellent service to the man who collected me last Wednesday. He tried to insist I should sit in the back, which is impossible for me due to my hips. Eventually he removed the rubbish on the front seat and I asked him to push the seat right back. He told me to adjust it! Which meant me losing both sticks, leaning into the foot well and finding the lever. It wasn't easy or painless! I also had to reach out and close the passenger door which is not easy. He then went on about how low the front passenger seat was and how he preferred getting in the back.

I kept quiet scored him down for his attitude and gave no tip. 

But that is one of the milder experiences. Every time I book a taxi I feel anxiety not knowing if I can get in the vehicle or how the driver will respond.

I tried Uber assist last week. No one came & then it advised it wasn't currently available. Ugh.

Comments

• Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,879 Disability Gamechanger
    @Prometheus2020 I'm so sorry about your experiences with Uber. Did you talk to Uber about the driver? 

I'm so sorry that this experience has meant you are not getting out as you wish. Have you thought about reaching out to your Local MP or council to see what services are available? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Prometheus2020
    Prometheus2020 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    I'm trying to get a pass for a bookable bus service. My experience of Uber was just one example of many where driver's have been less than helpful. The majority of drivers are pretty good. But a significant minority seem to find disabled people a burden.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.