Reclaiming UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reclaiming UC

Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I was paid a large amount early this year for some work I did last year, this took me over the savings limit after my AP ended so UC claim closed. They also said when I reopen they would look at whether ... ahhh I've forgotten the word, like when you earn too much and they move it over to future assessment periods?? They would look at that and see if that applies. I'm now in situation where I can start my UC claim again, what will UC want to see? Where I've spent the money? Savings? And what happens with the income that rolls over stuff? 
Sorry I can't remember exactly what it's called

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s called surplus earnings. It’s complicated but I think if it’s been quite a few months since your UC ended then it it may not apply. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/universal_credit_surplus_earnings

If your claim closed less than 6 months ago you can do a rapid reclaim by just logging into your journal. If your UC included the LCWRA element then this should continue. 

If it’s been longer than this then you’ll need to make a new claim and report your health condition again, supported by fit notes. 

When your savings exceeded the maximum amount of you had any debts you could have paid those off and it wouldn’t have affected your UC. Repaying debts is allowed for UC. I don’t know if you’re aware of that but thought it was worth mentioning. 

Yes, you will likely be asked to send bank statements. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Thanks  poppy, you're the greatest as always! <3 

I actually receive new style esa so hopefully it'll just transfer my award over without need for fit notes and assessment. Was so lucky someone on here advised me to put in a claim for it before my UC ended or it would have been so bad for me. I honestly don't know what I'd do without this place sometimes

I did know about debt and paid it off but still left me a bit over the 16,000. I've actually been under for some time but couldn't face the hassle or reapplying, I might even wait another 2 months as my rent is 1300 a month, so it'l be well under 6000 and then I won't need to keep updating them as I know I'll mess it up or forget. Will they ask why I didn't reclaim sooner? 
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome! That was great advice you received to claim NsESA. As you probably know you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. This means a new claim should be straight forward. (I hope!) 

No, they will not ask why you didn’t claim sooner, that’s entirely your decision. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Biblioklept
    Thanks again Poppy <3 I'm hoping they let me upload bank statements and stuff
  • poppy123456
    No problem. If you ask them they should put a link on your journal so you can upload the statements. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.