Foodbanks and homeless charities — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Foodbanks and homeless charities

Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,199 Disability Gamechanger
Just saw my local homeless and foodbank charity put out a call for things they're in desperate need of and it broke my heart.

Underwear, socks and sanitary products. I've never even thought to donate these things but wow it hit me hard that they're needing to request them. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,115 Disability Gamechanger
    Very sad @Biblioklept I know many of us on here moan about being low on cash but things could always be worse, most of us at least have a roof over our head and food on the table.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,397 Disability Gamechanger
          It's disgusting, it's 2023 for god sake and  we're in a world where people can't even afford a pair of socks. Don't even get me started on sanitary products, it isn't like they're a luxury item that women want out of greed. This government needs to hang it's head in shame.  Rant over.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Yeah they usually have a trolly in the super markets that people buy an item and put it in the trolly to donate, then they pick up the items at the end of the day. Which is good. People do donate food there, as they are usually full. 
    In reality it shouldn't be a thing in 21st century 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,199 Disability Gamechanger
    Always shocks me how the media and government celebrate the increase in food banks and stuff when realy it should be a concern that we're needing more and more of them.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,115 Disability Gamechanger
    I was thinking the other day, that is the fact that the vast majority of charity is needed a bad thing?

Some examples

Air ambulance - police get a helicopter paid by taxes, why not the health service?

Legion - soldiers and their families should surely be looked after?

Scope!! - if disabled people had the correct rights and support Scope wouldn't be needed...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,324 Disability Gamechanger
    It beggars belief in Britain in the year 2023 that we should need food banks and that they have to ask for underwear etc, it begs the question where have we gone wrong ? and why do we accept it ?

Without getting overly political I know for certain who won't be getting my vote in 2024.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,316 Disability Gamechanger
    The foodbanks in my area also, quite often, request sanitary products and toiletries. I agree with comments here it shouldn't be something we have to do in 2023. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.