Carers allowance and carers element uc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and carers element uc

bobby123 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
Is it best to claim for both carers allowance and carers element for UC if you can, I know both get adjusted so you only get one overall amount but is it best to get both


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,146 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t know what you mean by “both get adjusted”

    The carers allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement so there’s no financial gain to claiming it. The amount deducted from UC is £332.58/month. 

    Though there are some advantages and disadvantages. You will receive class 1 NI credits and you can receive your payments weekly (or 4 weekly) some find the weekly payments help them budget a little easier because UC is monthly. There’s a weekly earnings limit of £139/week so if you work (some do) then you need to be careful of this. 

    You don’t need to claim CA to be entitled to carers element. It increases your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. 

    Carers element can be claimed providing you’re not claiming the LCWRA yourself because both can’t be claimed at the same time by the same person. 

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.