Xmas two weeks and counting. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Xmas two weeks and counting.

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,317 Disability Gamechanger
In two weeks time the shops will have closed and Christmas shopping will be over and done with.

How prepared are you?
Have to admit we are all done with buying presents now and have two Tesco orders ready for 15th and 20th, so as ready as we can be.

I don't get out much if at all atm so all my shopping has been done online, did manage to get out today with SM and our friend/neighbour and it was like a football match, was glad to get home after an hour.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,464 Disability Gamechanger
    Well we’re done. I swapped meals for buying the four neighbors gifts. I been doing it for years so wanted to do it somehow. Just booze for them They all like their booze. I hardly see them We all live up a private lane but can go months without seeing them. 
    We don’t have Any friends or family so no buying gifts 

Then we will have our roast chicken ready meals for Christmas dinner. 
    Got rid of the cooker as it was becoming dangerous for me to cook. 
    Ready meals are cheaper for us. 
    Bf will have his normal booze anyway and I don’t drink. 
    We don't/can’t do pressie for each other. 
    But I don’t need or want anything. 
    so our Christmas is done. It’s very quite bf will get up usual time. So it will be me and my dog and the tv. And My Scope Family if anyone is on. 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 15,620 Disability Gamechanger
    As ready as I can be. What I have not got now we will do without. I have also done online shopping. I am sure people will pop in from time to time on Christmas Day @Ada We will b here for you. Take care. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,363 Disability Gamechanger
    Almost done here. Just need to go out and buy my grandson a few new clothes and my daughter some stocking fillers.

Christmas food shop will be done a few days before Christmas. I always like to go myself, rather than shop online. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    Last time I went out was also to home bargains and outside was a young(ish) homeless guy, got talking to him and he was telling me a couple of weeks before some ***** had set fire to him, he showed me the burn marks. Today just in case he was there again I took some warm clothes to give him, luckily he was there and very grateful for the clothes and the £20 we gave him, his face was a mass of cuts and bruises some **** had bottled him ! I sat down next to him for a chat and I was ok until he started to cry, I still have tears in my eyes writing this.

How can "people" be so cruel to other human beings it is totally and utterly beyond my comprehension.

To be honest if we had a spare bed I would have brought him home and let him spend xmas and new year with us in the warmth and being fed.
    I'm not looking to be told how "good" I was or anything like that, but I would respectfully ask that if you come across someone living on the streets you don't just walk past them, spare them a few bob if you can but if not a kind word is all someone down on their luck needs to let them know you care 
    As for the £20 I don't go dishing out twenty quid on a daily basis but had planned to donate to a national charity, it was a decision that sometimes charity begins a little nearer home.

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 5,975 Disability Gamechanger

@woodbine
    Thats shocking and it’s hard to comprehend how a human being can do that to another.
    It was a kind thing you done for that guy and you taking time with him will have meant the world to him. 
    The clothes and money will help massively.At least you can rest your head at night knowing you do the right thing.

Theres a guy sits outside my local co-op in all sorts of weather, there’s a Greggs there too so I get him a soup and give him some money too.
    I just always think there goes I but for the grace of god.

Take care Woodbine ❤️
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,464 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Last time I went out was also to home bargains and outside was a young(ish) homeless guy, got talking to him and he was telling me a couple of weeks before some ***** had set fire to him, he showed me the burn marks. Today just in case he was there again I took some warm clothes to give him, luckily he was there and very grateful for the clothes and the £20 we gave him, his face was a mass of cuts and bruises some **** had bottled him ! I sat down next to him for a chat and I was ok until he started to cry, I still have tears in my eyes writing this.

How can "people" be so cruel to other human beings it is totally and utterly beyond my comprehension.

To be honest if we had a spare bed I would have brought him home and let him spend xmas and new year with us in the warmth and being fed.
    I'm not looking to be told how "good" I was or anything like that, but I would respectfully ask that if you come across someone living on the streets you don't just walk past them, spare them a few bob if you can but if not a kind word is all someone down on their luck needs to let them know you care 
    As for the £20 I don't go dishing out twenty quid on a daily basis but had planned to donate to a national charity, it was a decision that sometimes charity begins a little nearer home.
    Being homeless a few times in my history. Living on the streets because I was running from a wicked person. I can appreciate so much what you did. 
    One time I made it to Bournemouth beach. And a Vick came every day giving us homeless a ticket to take to the chippy. 
    Another time in herts it was Christmas a young couple took me into their home although they were going away for the Christmas week they trusted me alone in their home. I left the day after their return so not to make them have to ask me to leave. 
    I will never forget their kindness. 
    I have lived on and off the streets since I was thirteen years  old. 
    When ever I was living in/with a fearful situation I would eventually run. Mostly without a penny so lived on the streets. It was fear. No  one deserves not to have a roof and safety 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,924 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done @woodbine for being kind. 
    That must of been awful @Ada

I've just got to pick a few bits of gifts up and then food shop.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,103 Disability Gamechanger
    It's saddening to hear about your experience Woodbine, I would like to join in and say it is shocking that some people can be so malicious but it really does not surprise me having witnessed the scum side of society myself so I would be lying

I personally think you did the right thing with the money by giving it directly to someone who needs it rather than to a corporation. This is exactly what I do, give directly. I only donate to a small handful of big charities as I don't like paying for corporate stuff, meetings, executives. Not attempting to make a debate just saying that's what I do

Most people, me included, don't realise we are lucky to have a roof, I am not saying lucky as a throwaway word I genuinely think it requires luck, not having a home could happen to anyone. People who are well off and work hard are lucky to be able to work, to have been born in good health to a family who could afford to give them a head start. Even people with a council house are lucky to have been awarded the right help. Someone like me is lucky to have been born to caring parents who kept me in after I turned 18 because they could see I wasn't able to provide myself a home, I could easily have been made to leave
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,270 Disability Gamechanger
    I went shopping over the weekend so nearly sorted now! Just have the Turkey dash (as we call it) on the 23rd to get all the Christmas food. Just found out my brother will be joining us for Christmas :) 

@woodbine a lot of local councils have an online reporting system if you find someone who is homeless or rough sleeping. They either have their own initiative or work with a charity that does, to support them. I know there has been a larger need for it this year with the colder temperatures. It may be worth popping a report through to see if they could help? 

I also wanted to pop on this thread as I have seen we have had an influx of new members! <3 We are here to help support you anyway we can. Please never hesitate to reach out. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    @Hannah_Scope did that earlier today, but if I'm honest I'm not hopeful as out local council has a dismal record when it comes to helping the homeless.

• Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,270 Disability Gamechanger
    Hopefully it does go somewhere! 🤞 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.