Lcwra carers allowance question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lcwra carers allowance question

Options
bobby123
bobby123 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
edited January 26 in Universal Credit (UC)
If you are on lcwra and pip daily living standard, can you get carers allowance for looking after someone else if they have daily living pip

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes you can but the carers allowance is just deducted in full from any UC entitlement so there’s no financial gain.

If the LCWRA element is for yourself then you can’t receive carers element at the same time. 

You also need to make sure that the person claiming PIP isn’t claiming a severe disability premium in another benefit. If they are then claiming carers allowance for looking after them will stop the SDP. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Danlangridge88
    Danlangridge88 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Yes you can but the carers allowance is just deducted in full from any UC entitlement so there’s no financial gain.

If the LCWRA element is for yourself then you can’t receive carers element at the same time. 

You also need to make sure that the person claiming PIP isn’t claiming a severe disability premium in another benefit. If they are then claiming carers allowance for looking after them will stop the SDP. 
    This is correct. My friend claimed both. You get the carers allowance every 2 weeks but then at the end of the UC assessment period when you get your payment, the carers allowance is deducted. I guess its better for some people to get the money more often than just one lump sum at the end of the month- that's the only real benefit otherwise there's not much point. Plus you could risk losing your LCWRA if it contradicts what you have to do as a carer. I wouldn't bother really
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

This is correct. My friend claimed both. You get the carers allowance every 2 weeks
    To be clear, Carers allowance is paid either weekly or 4 weekly, not fortnightly.

Another thing to be aware of is that if carers allowance ever stops in the future, it has been known for UC to continue to deduct the money each month. They are not very quick in sorting payments out. I've known this happen so many times, it's a nightmare.

UC can also be paid fortnightly if you have issues managing your monthly payments. It's known as an alternative payment arrangement. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/universal-credit-alternative-payment-arrangements

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Danlangridge88
    Danlangridge88 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options

This is correct. My friend claimed both. You get the carers allowance every 2 weeks
    To be clear, Carers allowance is paid either weekly or 4 weekly, not fortnightly 

Sorry my mistake it was weekly

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.