Dry-January or Veganuary? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dry-January or Veganuary?

Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,180 Disability Gamechanger
Do you take part in any of these type of 'months'? 

So dry-january is not drinking through January and Veganuary is going vegan for the month. But there's others too, like Movember (men don't shave moustache through November) and so on. 

I know some of them are for specific causes or raising money but I wondered if anyone here ever takes part in any? I never have. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,037 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 3
    I just had a steak and a glass of wine :D 

Oh and I shave every day because of OCD :D 
  • Biblioklept
    :D Definitely not for you then @66mustang!!!! :D I guess the real question for you is...... how do you have your steak?!?! I know I'd have it well done because I'm a worrier and not much of a foody, but I know you like good and fine food so I reckon you'd have it medium-rare. 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,204 Disability Gamechanger
    Dry January easy. I don’t drink. Now if you said give up tea we would have a problem lol. 
    Don’t eat red meat. 
  • 66Mustang
    @Biblioklept I love any steak whether rare or charcoaled black!!! :yum:

The only thing I would think twice about is "blue" steak (a.k.a. still bleeding) but I still think I would be willing to try it before passing judgement

:D 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,286 Disability Gamechanger
    I keep talking about having one veggie day a week, as for dry January as soon as all the xmas drink has gone (wont be long) that will be it till the summer when I enjoy a glass of cider on a hot day.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    The only way I can bring myself to eat meat (especially if I prepare it) is charcoaled black!! Lol

I saw this thing about a place in London that does 3D printed steaks, would you try those @66Mustang??? I don't think I could ever try 3D printed food
  • Biblioklept
    Ada said:
    Dry January easy. I don’t drink. Now if you said give up tea we would have a problem lol. 
    Don’t eat red meat. 
    Yeah dry January is easy peasy for me too!! In fact I could do without all drinks but water quite happily! :D  
  • 66Mustang
    @Biblioklept not sure how that would work, I thought 3D printing was done with plastics? But I might be behind the times!!! Can you print using proteins and such things???

@woodbine we do without meat a couple of days a week and it's actually fine, we have like a veggie soup or some sort of vegetable bake, you can eat really well just using veggies
  • 66Mustang
    PS @Biblioklept you must be incredibly healthy and I envy you. I was told by a health professional if I never drunk anything but water again in my life I would be very healthy!!
  • Biblioklept
    66Mustang said:
    @Biblioklept not sure how that would work, I thought 3D printing was done with plastics? But I might be behind the times!!! Can you print using proteins and such things???
    I don't really get how it works but yeah apparently so!! I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it but seen good reviews. Way of the future I guess :D  

https://youtu.be/L7-uFeLEcvM?si=_oHkuB9phY9v1MVD

• Biblioklept
    66Mustang said:
    PS @Biblioklept you must be incredibly healthy and I envy you. I was told by a health professional if I never drunk anything but water again in my life I would be very healthy!!
    Haha if I wasn't so picky with food and ate more balanced meals then maybe!! I've always loved water though and would pick it over any other drink lol
    On the odd occasion I have a hot drink it's more of a craving for something sweet or warming. Water all the way!!! 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,635 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 3
    That looks just processed to death for me. Food in moderation in its natural form. 

I dont drink so dry January easy for me. I eat a few vegetarian meals a week
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Yep dry January for me. Oh and steak well done ✔️ 
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    every day is a dry day for me not had alcohol for nearly as long as i have been a veggie and thats 60 odd years   
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 2,883 Scope online community team
    I've done dry January and Veganuary in the past.  Dry Jan was easy to do for me, but I had to call it quits after two weeks of being vegan as I got ill and the doc decided the sudden change in diet wasn't a good idea.

I did one for Cancer research last November which was 100 pushups a day for a month.  I've not done a push up since, but did raise £200 for charity, so it was worth it.  :) 

I hear Scope will be doing something this year, so keep an eye out. ;) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 405 Pioneering
    I rarely drink. I low carb, so meat is a big part of any meal & steak is blue. As for Movember, yes, I go au naturale! ;) Actually, all the thought up days pass me by, not bothered about any of them.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 377 Pioneering
    Hi @Biblioklept

I have never taken part in any of these. I keep saying I will do dry January,  but I never do.
    That having said, I don’t feel like consuming alcohol at all at the moment, so I’ll see how far I get. :-:smile: as for others, prior to Christmas I decided to remain a meat eater but increase my veg intake and so far, I am winning.

Hope all is good with you.

• Biblioklept
    I've done dry January and Veganuary in the past.  Dry Jan was easy to do for me, but I had to call it quits after two weeks of being vegan as I got ill and the doc decided the sudden change in diet wasn't a good idea.

I did one for Cancer research last November which was 100 pushups a day for a month.  I've not done a push up since, but did raise £200 for charity, so it was worth it.  :) 

I hear Scope will be doing something this year, so keep an eye out. ;) 
    I don't think I could do 1 pushup let alone 100! Did you do them all in one 'sitting'? 
  • Biblioklept
    JessieJ said:
    I rarely drink. I low carb, so meat is a big part of any meal & steak is blue. As for Movember, yes, I go au naturale! ;) Actually, all the thought up days pass me by, not bothered about any of them.
    How do you find low carb? Is it just the obvious ones you cut back on like bread/pasta/rice or things like potato too??
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,204 Disability Gamechanger
    JessieJ said:
    I rarely drink. I low carb, so meat is a big part of any meal & steak is blue. As for Movember, yes, I go au naturale! ;) Actually, all the thought up days pass me by, not bothered about any of them
    How do you find low carb? Is it just the obvious ones you cut back on like bread/pasta/rice or things like potato tooeat??
    I eat as little carbs as possible due to diabetes but I eat chicken and some fish. But mostly dark green leaf salad ( salad is sweet ) and dark veg. I do fine without red meat lamb etc 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.