How often do you challenge yourself?? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How often do you challenge yourself??

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I hope he doesn't mind me sharing but the WONDERFUL @66Mustang reminded me how important it is to challenge yourself and go out of your comfort zone sometimes and I've woken up today so invigorated to do that!! I'd lost a bit of my zest for life and I don't know what's changed but I feel so bright today and I'm going to start pushing back on my comfort zone!!

How do other people challenge themselves?? What do you do to push your comfort zone?

I walked around the block twice this morning, IN THE RAINNNNNN!! I came home soaked and hated having to change and realised I really need clothes suitable for rainy weather (I don't even own a coat :D:D ) but despite the grumbles about those things I feel so good about myself for doing it!! <3<3

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

That’s really really awesome!! It’s so nice to read good news :)

I am so pleased for you!!! :smiley: 

Maybe you could treat yourself to a new coat as a reward?

I try to push my comfort zone every day but only with little things if that makes sense! Like in a shop I will purposefully go to a till with a person on it rather than a self checkout (the latter of which is easier for me)

I do try to do bigger things occasionally :D

Don’t question why you are feeling good, just make the most of it and try to keep the momentum going!!

• Biblioklept
    Options
    Thank you!! <3<3
    I did start looking at coats online but then got sidetracked deciding I needed walking boots, and waterproofs and ooooh maybe a hiking bag and got carried away so came on here instead before I ended up with more stuff I don't need and will never use :D 

Really I should invest in a coat though!! Plus some shoes that aren't just open top slip ons because by the time I got home my shoes just squelched and were filled with water. 

You've said it's a little thing but going to a cashier with a person rather than self checkout can be huge!! I'm definitely not at that point yet but it really inspired me with the sorts of things you mean. It's not taking the easy, familiar or comfortable path every time. Doing the task that's a little more challenging or I pause to avoid.  <3 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    So pleased for you @Biblioklept it's certainly worth giving yourself small challenges each week, then a reward when you complete them. It's helped me so much with my recovery, as I've been seeing it like a computer game, with side quests etc. :) 
    @66Mustang you have been coming on in leaps and bounds my friend, you should be so proud of yourself! <3  I most definitely get the whole cashier thing. Stranger danger! 

Yesterday I braved the cinema for the first time since early 2021, I had to take some diazepam, but I managed it and I'm pleased I did. But I'll need a week to recover from being sat down surrounded by so many people.  :D  
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Seeing life as a computer game with side quests is just 👌
    Must. Complete. Challenges. Allllll the challenges!

Ooooooh cinema sounds good, I do miss the cinema, what did you go and see?? 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Seriously, side quests ftw!  It's helped so much.  There's a couple of apps to help gamify it all too, so it's a lot less stressful. :)

Sis bought us tickets to see Dune Pt 2 as I'm a massive fan of the books/films/games.  The last time I went to the cinema was to see the first one.  :D 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    It does feel good when you succeed in a challenging activity. I have been very challenged by the situation that I have found myself in recently but realising that I am managing during it has been very good for me.
    When we first got to the hotel we couldn't face going to breakfast in the dining room. I hadn't been in a restaurant since 2008, but now we are managing it everyday.  I still wish I was brave enough to use the pool but I am not going to beat myself up over it. My son refuses point blank because he won't even consider wearing a swimsuit but I think now I am older I could manage that if someone was with me. But not alone. Nevermind. I am managing to go out and hobble around the garden every day and when our keycards stopped working we managed to go to the front desk to get them recut and were rewarded by their saying we can stay in the suite longer than we expected:)
    Who would have thought being homeless could be such a positive experience!!
    And my son managed to answer my phone for me when the referencing people called for my details about our prospective new tenancy. I didn't manage but he did and that seems to be going alright. I think it helped him feel he was contributing as he has shut down and left things to me mostly and was feeling guilty, which I don't want as he gets very low.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Nice!!! Did you like it as much as the first one @Albus_Scope?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Oh wow @bookrabbit I didn't realise you were going through so much but you're handling all these challenges so well!!!! Going and eating breakfast in the dining room is huge!!! And the fact you've even considered the pool is wonderful <3<3 
    I've spent time homeless and it nearly broke me but I did learn a lot about myself and my strength as a person. 
    Sounds like you and your are making the absolutely best out of a horrible situation!!! Keep on pushing yourselves and reaping the rewards, <3 
  • bookrabbit
    Options
    We have had a very soft landing for being homeless. I know most people aren't as lucky. We haven't had much luck in a long time so it was very unexpected. Fortunately the council were pretty horrified about what had happened to us and the way we had been living and moved us out of area to be nearer my friend who supports us, hence the extra nice hotel.

Going to breakfast was huge. We never could have done it if the place wasn't so peaceful. It was busier this morning being a weekend but we still managed because it has become routine. I rely heavily on routine to cope with things without overthinking them to death. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I utterly adored it! The costume design was beautiful, the cinematography was breath-taking and the cast were spot on.  Other than the Emperor being played by Christopher Walken, he was just playing himself which was pretty off-putting. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear you're pulling out lots of positives @bookrabbit, I totally understand the need for routine! 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • bookrabbit
    Options
    Thank you!! <3<3
    I did start looking at coats online but then got sidetracked deciding I needed walking boots, and waterproofs and ooooh maybe a hiking bag and got carried away so came on here instead before I ended up with more stuff I don't need and will never use :D 

Really I should invest in a coat though!! Plus some shoes that aren't just open top slip ons because by the time I got home my shoes just squelched and were filled with water. 

You've said it's a little thing but going to a cashier with a person rather than self checkout can be huge!! I'm definitely not at that point yet but it really inspired me with the sorts of things you mean. It's not taking the easy, familiar or comfortable path every time. Doing the task that's a little more challenging or I pause to avoid.  <3 
    Just have to say that bit about considering buying a coat turning into buying everything for hiking is so like me. I get totally carried away with whatever I get started on!!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,639 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm afraid I have to admit that I rarely challenge myself any more especially with my vision problems. We will be visiting friends in the Lake District next month and in many ways I'm sort of dreading it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    edited March 2
    Options
    We have had a very soft landing for being homeless. I know most people aren't as lucky. We haven't had much luck in a long time so it was very unexpected. Fortunately the council were pretty horrified about what had happened to us and the way we had been living and moved us out of area to be nearer my friend who supports us, hence the extra nice hotel.

Going to breakfast was huge. We never could have done it if the place wasn't so peaceful. It was busier this morning being a weekend but we still managed because it has become routine. I rely heavily on routine to cope with things without overthinking them to death. 
    It's so nice to know that sometimes it works out for people and soft landings DO actually exist <3

Make the most of every minute there!!! I know the overall situation is rubbish but it sounds like it's helping give you and your son a nice break too!! And hahahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets carried away with anything I start :D 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I utterly adored it! The costume design was beautiful, the cinematography was breath-taking and the cast were spot on.  Other than the Emperor being played by Christopher Walken, he was just playing himself which was pretty off-putting. 
    I think that's the only role he knows how to play :D:D:D  I'll have to wait for it to come to TV/streaming and try it <3
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I'm afraid I have to admit that I rarely challenge myself any more especially with my vision problems. We will be visiting friends in the Lake District next month and in many ways I'm sort of dreading it.

It's great you're going though @woodbine, is there anything we can do to help put your mind at ease? We're about if you need to talk it through. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @woodbine I keep thinking about you and wondering how you're doing, it must be such a huge thing to have to face with especially how suddenly it happened!! Everything probably feels like a bit of a challenge at the moment, right? :( 
    At lot has changed for you and yet the world is sort of continuing as always so it's no wonder something like a trip to the Lake District is bringing you mixed feelings!! I think the way I'd try and cope is convincing myself that I'm getting to experience the world anew, in a different way to which I enjoyed it before. <3 Is it just you and senior management going??
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not very often, if I'm honest, until the last couple of weeks. As you know, I moved into my new home in mid Jan. I had the open plan living room, landing and stairs decorated by a professional painter and decorator but it cost me a fortune. It was worth every penny because I wouldn't have been able to do such a large area myself. 

Then it came to my bedroom, which really was the worst colour I've ever seen in my life. I needed sunglasses every time I walked in there. All walls were papered, which made it even worse. I had a quote from the same decorator that did downstairs but at a few hundred pounds I really didn't have that money right now but was desperate to have my room done. Sleep was being affected too because it really was awful. I know we close our eyes when we go to bed but that doesn't help rest my mind when I know how awful my surroundings are. 

Anyway, I decided I would attempt to do it myself, with help from my daughter. We had to remove all the wallpaper first and used a bowl of water with a sponge to remove the bottom layer because I didn't want to use a steamer. It took 4 days to just get the paper off. Midway through day 2 I was already starting to struggle a lot but pushed my way through. The following morning I couldn't get out of bed because my whole body hurt so badly. I had a rest that day. I was already starting to think had I bitten off more than I could chew. 

Once all the paper was off we had to wash the walls with sugar soap but the walls were so bad it wasn't removing everything. At one point I thought I may have to use lining paper but didn't know how I was going to do that myself and I did sit down at one point to work out my finances to see if I could scrape together the money to pay the decorator. I hated the thought of more money being spent when It had already costs me far too much to move in here.  I then used kitchen cleaner sprayed on the walls which worked better than the sugar soap. Then I had to prep the walls with filler and decorators chalk for the holes and cracks and sanded that down with a sandpaper block. 

Then came the paint. 2 feature walls of dark pink, with the other 2 walls as a lighter pink. Skirting board and doors white satin. 10 days of pain and torture in my whole body. By the evening of each day I couldn't even get myself off the sofa but I pushed through the pain with tears but determined I was going to achieve this one thing. I desperately wanted to have the bedroom I've always dreamed of and no one else was going to do that but myself. On Wednesday I finally finished all the painting.

A quick shopping trip for new bedding, bedside lamp, light shade, pictures for the walls, a rug and my bedroom is now completed. I absolutely love it!

Yes, I was completely bonkers but i'm so proud of myself for what I achieved as it was the most difficult thing I've done in about 15 years. It's my pink haven! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm so glad you managed all that Poppy!  I remember the perils of choosing to decorate by myself, so big congrats for that. I'm glad you're finally sleeping in the new place and you can really feel relaxed knowing you did all that by yourself!  <3 

My current bedroom was originally such a bright and lurid yellow, it had slight green tinges to it and gave me eye strain. But luckily I had help to paint and strip the walls.  :D 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,213 Scope online community team
    Options
    What an achievement Poppy, well done for getting through all that! Your new bedroom sounds lovely <3
    Rosie (she/her)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.