If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

THERE’S SOMEONE IN MY GARDEN!!!!!!!!

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,022 Championing
edited March 3 in Coffee lounge
(Not any more, don’t worry I’m fine <3)
But seriously had the scare of my life this morning!!! 
I didn’t sleep very well last night so was still dozing in bed and in that half asleep half awake dream state and heard my garden gate slam shut. So I’m suddenly completely awake and on edge listening, wondering if maybe I imagined it??
Nope definitely not, I can hear someone moving about. ****
I can’t even breathe, I'm running through every possible explanation in my head, all of them ending in my brutal murder, and I hear the gate open and close again. It can’t be my neighbour's gate because it doesn’t make sense from where my bedroom is and it was too loud. 
But twice means they’ve left right? Right?!
Nopeee!! Now I hear TWO voices, there’s two of them and they’re talking IN MY GARDEN!!!
I can’t work out what they’re saying but they’re definitely talking and right under my window. So this is it, they’re about to break in and murder me and steal all my stuff and I’m just frozen to the bed!!! I can’t even reach for my phone and don’t know what to do. I literally lay still. Barely breathing. Listening to them and picturing what happens next and the route they’ll probably take through my house.
Did I even lock the back door?? I remember doing it. But maybe when I locked it I actually unlocked it instead?? 
About a million years passed (it was probably more like 2 minutes) but I’m still frozen and they’re still chatting away and I’m wondering who on earth will ever find my body or know I’m dead, and what poor person will be tasked with emptying out my house, and I hear the gate go AGAIN ... and then an engine start and a car pulling away.
After another billion years listening to silence I check out my window and there’s no one there and my house is all quiet and somehow I’m still alive! 
... and my gardener just messaged letting me know that he popped round with his son this morning and gave me a quote for the raised flower bed and other work I asked him to price up 🙈😅
So I’m getting a raised flower bed, a slightly extended patio and apparently can now rest in the knowledge that if someone really was breaking in, I would just lay still in my bed and do nothing :D
What kind of home security does everyone have??
Hope everyone else's start to the day was better than mine was :D<3<3 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! I would have been exactly the same! Anything I hear outside in my garden always scares me. Same at night when it's dark if someone knocks on my door my heart always misses a few beats and I would never look through the window into the dark to see who it is. 

Glad it was just the gardener but they could have contacted you beforehand just to tell you they were calling round, that would have saved all that panic  :D

How exciting that you're having work done to your garden! It will be lovely to be able to sit out there in the warmer months and enjoy it. (assuming you would do that) 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 8,455 Championing
    Options

@Biblioklept
    Oh no that must’ve been so frightening but like you and Poppy I would do the exact same thing 😰 that’s me sweating it out under the covers 😂
    Im glad it was your gardener and your here to tell the tale. 
    Your garden will look amazing when it’s done. 

❤️

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 198 Empowering
    Options
    How horrible!! I am hypervigilant about sounds at night - although surely the gardener wouldn't have come in the dark?? 
    Actually I am just as bad during the day. I am going to find having the tiny garden at my hopefully new house difficult because the people in adjacent gardens are so close. But I am just going to have to console myself with the fact that at least I have a garden...

That would have terrified me too. Actually it would have terrified me even if I knew they were coming. I don't cope with workmen at all well.
    But it's super that you are getting the garden done 😊 I hope that makes up for the scare somewhat.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thank you all!!! <3 

What makes it sillier is he sent me a message on Thursday telling me he was pop over early on Sunday and I just completely forgot :D I'm really looking forward to it because I want to get into gardening and think a raised bed will help me do it better as doing it in pots hasn't really worked out.
    @chiarieds showed me some seeds and stuff for beginner gardeners and I'm getting really excited to get started! <3 

@poppy123456, I do sit out in the garden sometimes but it feels a bit like a prison sometimes as it's a new build and has no character, just a flat bit of grass and about 10 slabs of patio right outside the door. It's not overlooked which is good so I feel happier out there but I need to give it some character to hopefully make it feel a bit cosier and more inviting!

Thank you @Lou67 <3 It's funny to know I'm not the only one who just hides under the blanket!! :D 

An alarm sounds like a good idea @Beaver79, is it something I could install myself or are they done from big alarm companies and stuff? I don't even know where to start 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,986 Championing
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had a scare but I'm glad it's all OK, actually positive, in the end! I really hope the garden upgrades make a difference for you and that you are able to sit out there later.

I find it hard sitting in the garden at home as my bedroom is the only "safe" area but I dream about having my own little cottage one day with a little garden (private not overlooked!!) that I can sit in, and just do the same stuff I do indoors like play on the laptop, as I think being outside is so good for you!!!

If I know you as well as I think ... the idea of having to hit a burglar over the head with something heavy didn't bother you ... but the prospect of having to ask a random stranger what they were doing was terrifying ... ? 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks @Beaver79!!! Some lights sound like my best option right now and maybe a lock for my garden gate just to feel a bit more secure? 

Hahahaha @66Mustang you know me too well! Yeppppp bonking a burglar on the head doesn't bother me, asking what someone is up to, or calling the police or explaining to the police what happened TERRIFIES me :D:D
    I'm the same and in my head love the idea of a cosy cottage type garden and really looking forward to getting it feeling nicer, mostly just to sit out there on my laptop :D I always feel better after being outside and I'm hoping my garden can become as much my safe haven as my bed is <3

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    Options
    Oh yes, those new builds only ever give the basic gardens. My daughter and son In law live in one and their garden is the same, with the same very small patio outside the double doors. 

I'm sure you will love It once it's done. You can buy plants online too, which is good as I know you have difficulties going out. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,709 Championing
    Options
    Blimey, that is quite the start to the day @Biblioklept! I'm not great with unannounced visitors at the best of times haha.  Fingers crossed the new garden can be a safe haven for you, I know I'd be lost without mine. And as Poppy has said, online ordering for plants is so easy now, no need to venture outside. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks @Albus_Scope, I'm giggling about it now but it has also left me a little shaken. I keep thinking I'm hearing someone moving around the house and just feel a bit edgey :D 
    I hate how my mind works in overdrive and runs so fast too, wondering how long it'd take for my body to be discovered was rather sobering :D:D 

Do you spend much time in your garden?? In my head I'd spend most my days out there but that probably won't ever happen no matter how nice I make it lol
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Nope, I totally get that! I've had the same issues when alone here, but luckily I have 3 dogs to keep me alert to any potential garden visitors.  Unfortunately, they'll let me know if a car door shuts outside. So lots of unneeded borking. :D 

I used to find it all a bit daunting at first, but now I try and get out into the garden as often as possible when the weather's not so rubbish. I'll usually spend a bit of time in the morning out there with a coffee, feeding my pigeon and jackdaw friends. It's good for the soul. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I can relate @Albus_Scope, we get reminded when the moon is out which is quite useful sometimes :blush:

If we had a burglar our dog would just roll over for a tummy tickle, then if the burglar gave him a treat he would lead them to where the money and valuables are kept (if we had any money or valuables) 🙄
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Haha, that sounds very familiar @66Mustang, our old dog Leeloo would've given any burglars her tennis ball and bork for them to throw it. The two brothers would just hope for treats. :D 

But now we have Albus, anyone coming into the house unannounced will get loudly yelled at by him and if they don't back up, he'll give a warning nip to the thigh. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Albus_Scope that sounds like a really loyal pet :blush:

I don't know why, I am really not an aggressive or violent person, but I always loved the idea of a really loyal dog that was super gentle but if anyone threatened the owner it would immediately turn and go into protect mode :D 

We knew a couple once who had a huge dog, quite scary, Rhodesian ridgeback rings a bell, it was really gentle though, when the couple had a baby it would watch over the pram and if any unfamiliar person approached the pram it would let off a quiet growl just as if to say "I'm watching you" :D
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Albus was on the streets for 12 years in Romania, so he's a very loyal packmate. It took 2 years for him to really learn to trust us and he'll even guard my sister if I try going in her room.    But he's a lovely old chap, he's just very wary of strangers, if dogs can get PTSD, he's definitely got PTSD.  :D

Ridgebacks are lovely dogs, I've found the bigger the dog, the better its nature. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Albus_Scope that's something I've wondered before, and, I'm sure animals can get PTSD along with other mental health issues, or at least something resembling them. Especially dogs that are made to work in the army or perhaps police dogs and things like that, although admittedly I'm sure they get really well treated when off duty to make up for the work!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    3 dogs must keep you on your toes @Albus_Scope!! I love the idea of sitting out there with a coffee and just enjoying the peace, but I'd need to start drinking coffee :D 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'd certainly not be able to look after them all by myself since my physical health took a nose dive, but I do whatever I can for the three loons. :)  

Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,933 Championing
    Options
    Omg sorry 😐 only  just caught up
    I would of been terrified too. If anyone brakes in. Keep perfume near by to spray in their eyes 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Championing
    Options
    Oh my gosh @Biblioklept That must have been so scary! I'm glad it was just the gardener! What are you looking to plant in your raised beds? 

Like others, my dog is a deterrent... well... kind of? :D She can be a bit ditsy lol. We did invest in a ring camera for the front door. So far all it has done is call me out on how much I order online! They do the flood lights which can go in the back garden if you are still looking for extra security? And Ring are one of those brands in like prime day offers and Black Friday so you can sometimes get bundles! 

Did you order a coat? 
    Hannah - She / Her

If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.