Do you follow advice?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,022 Championing
I imagine most of us have heard these three bits of advice:

Eat 5 fruit and veg a day
10,000 steps
8 glasses of water

Does anyone manage all 3 of them every day?? Does anyone even try?

I get the 8 glasses of water in easily, I love water and drink so much of it but I get no where near the 10k steps or the fruit and veg :D 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,139 Championing
    Options
    Admission time...I miss all three by a mile 🍅🥛🚶🏻‍♂️

2024 Election won

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 198 Empowering
    Options
    I usually get the fruit and veg no problem and the water and I used to get the steps, but can't manage it anymore.

I am usually vegan and don't eat processed food so lots of fruit and veg, well mostly veg, isn't difficult. While in emergency housing I have relaxed to being vegetarian out of necessity although it isn't good for my health to eat dairy. But it is difficult to be vegan when you don't have cooking facilities. I still manage my 5 a day most days though. But my son doesn't:(

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,295 Championing
    Options
    Usually get my 5 a day. I don't drink water at all as I'm really not a fan. No way could I manage all those steps either. 
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Empowering
    Options
    I try to get my five a day. 
    I don’t drink enough water. 
    I walk most days maybe but not far. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Those that don't drink water, what do you drink? Is it multiple cups of tea and coffee or juice or something? 
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Empowering
    Options
    Decaf Tea mostly and one or two cups of decaf coffee, I have two glasses of water a day. 
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 365 Empowering
    Options
    lots of tea couple of glasses of water been a veggie since i was a nipper used to do way over 10,000 steps a day on the farm got a job to walk now tho but i am enjoying the relaxed life not 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,807 Championing
    Options
    The 10k steps is not backed up by anything.  It was originally part of a Japanese advert and somehow spread across the world as fact!

8 glasses of water doesn't make sense either.  Surely that depends on how big your glasses are!  Are they pint glasses?  Or sherry glasses?  It must also depend on the heat and humidity where you live, and the amount of physical exertion you're doing each day, plus the type and amount of food you eat.  (More water is needed to process more fibre, for example).

5 a day is also misleading.  5 portions of fruit a day would be far too much sugar & acid.  It should be mostly made up of green veg.

So to answer the question...no, I don't follow any of those!  :D   I do have 6 glasses of water a day as I don't drink anything else.

I used to manage 5k+ steps a day regularly, but nowadays it's more like 1-2k.

Interestingly, I went from fruit 3 days a week to none at all without noticing any effects.  Had to stop when I broke a tooth in 2018 (that I've obv never been able to have fixed, despite multiple attempts in 2019) and the fruit juices caused so much pain for days afterwards that it just wasn't worth it.  I do still have frozen veg every other day, but not enough as a portion size, and not enough variety either.  (Oversensitivity to taste & texture makes most veg intolerable).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,295 Championing
    Options
    Those that don't drink water, what do you drink? Is it multiple cups of tea and coffee or juice or something? 
    About 3 cups of tea in the morning. Then Pepsi max  :D
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,392 Scope online community team
    Options
    I do the 8 glasses of water a day, plus at least one cup of coffee and maybe a can of Coke Zero.
    Upping my water intake has coincided with me feeling a lot healthier in general, but the trade off is I spend my life in the loo!

Not sure about my steps though - I try to do the school run on foot but I doubt that takes me anywhere near 10,000!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,944 Championing
    Options
    5 a day yes mix of fruit n veg I always have water near by but I don't think I get 8 glasses In.
    Defo not the steps 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I read that about the 10k steps a while back and found it so interesting @OverlyAnxious!! It's weird how these things get passed on and gain momentum and then become wide spread!! I'd still like to get to 10,000 one day as it's so drummed into my head now :D 

I'd probably get the fruit and veg if someone else prepared my food, I love vegetables but they're a pain to prep and I get obsessed with how dirty they might be. I'm not a fan of many fruits though
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Championing
    Options
    I drink a lot of water now I have no colon! I do find the fruit and veg thing harder with a stoma but I'd say 4 days out the week I can manage it :D

The 10,000 steps doesn't quite happen although I know it should. *hides*
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Delboy56
    Delboy56 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    All that fruit and veg, ugh, no thank you! Water, yes, but invariably with cofee in it! 10000 step a day..hmm, yes probably, but take the next 3 days to recover...lol
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 541 Pioneering
    Options
    Never liked or drank water, now, it's mainly all I drink, about 2 1/2l & a couple of coffees, don't know how many glasses that is. After all that water, it's a step or two to the loo, not 10000! ;) Veg, sometimes 3, mostly 1 or 2.