Reporting Rent Increase — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reporting Rent Increase

Options
TheManFromLondon
TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
edited April 3 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have renewed my letting agreement and have a new rent starting 20/04. 

I have a letter from my agent dated yesterday. Can I report the change now or wait for the 20/04?

If i have to wait for the 20/04, do I need the letter from my estate agent dated also on 20/04?

Also, I never did a rent increase report before, will i have the option to upload the evidence when I report change of circumstances or I need to ask them for that?

Comments

• TheManFromLondon
    Options
    For anyone reading this: As nobody seems to know about this in the forum (weird), I called UC and they said I have to do it on the day and the letter to be dated on or after the new rent date. I will have to leave a message or call them to provide a link to upload the letter, a utility bill or a council tax bill dated within 2 months.

I hope that post will enrich the skills of the veterans here. (I am guessing they are mostly homeowners).
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,214 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks for the update there @TheManFromLondon hopefully it'll help some other folk out, even if we couldn't give you the answers you needed. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Ramonica
    Ramonica Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, similar situation here, my rent increase is right in the end of my assessment period, the last day, if i report the change on the day will it delay my payment?
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    Ramonica said:
    Hi, similar situation here, my rent increase is right in the end of my assessment period, the last day, if i report the change on the day will it delay my payment?
    Sorry dont know that, but thats a good question I would also like to know the answer for.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I unfortunately don't know the answer, but hopefully one of the community will have an answer for you both soon. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Ramonica
    Options
    Thanks @Albus_Scope I have now asked again the same on my own own post as I am afraid to report the change before my payment. I see only you and the catwoman (poppy is her nickname?) are here today but you dont know and she doesn't either so… I though people would be more knowledgeable about these standard subjects…
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    @Ramonica due to the nature of the community, it can sometimes take a while for people to see posts and answer them, as people are here and helping in their free time. Give it some time. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,281 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 3
    Options
    For anyone reading this: As nobody seems to know about this in the forum (weird), I called UC and they said I have to do it on the day and the letter to be dated on or after the new rent date. I will have to leave a message or call them to provide a link to upload the letter, a utility bill or a council tax bill dated within 2 months.

I hope that post will enrich the skills of the veterans here. (I am guessing they are mostly homeowners).
    To be fair, you didn't give enough of time for anyone to answer you. I knew the answer but didn't have chance to respond and when I returned you already answered your own question.

Please also note that many members here also have health conditions too, myself included. The time we spend advising here is done freely in our own spare time. I"m struggling right now with severe pain so my time on the forum has been limited in the past week or so. 

For any benefits, you can't report a change before it happens because it can't be actioned until after the changes take place. 

No, I do not own my own home, I rent it from social housing. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ramonica said:
    No, it should delay payment. Your UC entitlement is based on your circumstances on the last day of each assessment period. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the pain @poppy123456 but thank you for helping everyone. Please remember to rest up as you're important too! 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 186 Pioneering
    Options
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    THE_DUDE said:
    You are not the REAL Dude, so...
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    @poppy123456 Agreed. May I ask, if you know, shouldn't they accept the letter from the estate agent dated earlier? I understand the point the change has the be reported on or after the fact, but the letter isnt it valid if its dated a couple of weeks back? Not sure the person I spoke on the UC helpline wad really aware of this point.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They should accept the letter even if it's dated prior to the change. It makes no sense if it's not accepted. It's the same as a tenancy agreement, it doesn't have to be dated from when you report the changes. 

If you're privately renting then your LHA may not cover the whole of your rent, as this is very often the case with privately renting. LHA is increasing this month but still may not cover the whole rent. You can check your entitlement here.https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the pain @poppy123456 but thank you for helping everyone. Please remember to rest up as you're important too! 
    Thank you Albus, that's very kind of you. 
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 that's what I thought as well, I reckon the person on the phone was not fully aware or confused the fact it has to be reported on the day the change takes place.
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 186 Pioneering
    Options
    THE_DUDE said:
    You are not the REAL Dude, so...
    No, I'm THE_DUDE. 

I'm starting to think your not the real man from London. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 that's what I thought as well, I reckon the person on the phone was not fully aware or confused the fact it has to be reported on the day the change takes place.
    No problem. Yes, the person on the phone would be someone from a call centre with very little knowledge with benefits, other than to read from a screen in front of them. 
  • Ramonica
    Options
    Hi @TheManFromLondon how long did your change take to be approved?
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    Ramonica said:
    Hi @TheManFromLondon how long did your change take to be approved?
    As poppy said in your other post it will just happen and you will see it on your next statement.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.