Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Mel Stride Job Bootcamp

Options
letitbe
letitbe Community member Posts: 417 Pioneering

so I hear on the radio that Stride has announced work bootcamps for unemployed to get us into work also telling businesses to employ British employees.

All this is really getting me down, it will send some of us over the edge.

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,910 Scope online community team
    edited May 21
    Options

It's not easy to have so many speeches and articles popping up all the time, it definitely feels a bit heavy to have to read and hear about it so often. Sorry to hear you're feeling so affected by it all, it's no fun.

There's a bit more about what was said today here if you'd like to read it. As far as I can understand, this doesn't seem to be directly targeting disabled people and seems more targeted towards people with intensive work search commitments, but I know that doesn't make it much less worrying. We'll keep a close eye on anything more that comes out about it.

Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 168 Pioneering
    edited May 21
    Options

I thought it disgusting that he stated that they have to stop paying PIP because too many people need it. Can you imagine if they applied that logic to public services? Oh, only 1 of your children can go to school because it's unaffordable to educate ALL the children. If the need is there, then the state must find a way to help people, otherwise what are they for?! What are they saying otherwise, that as a society they want it to go back to the days where only the fortunate got to thrive? I don't have polite words for what I think of that man.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,537 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

To be fair they kind of do do that already with the NHS

Like … too many people need dentists and eyeglasses and ear syringing and stuff, so we're not going to pay for those anymore

Changing the goalposts because too many people get through is nothing new

Not that that makes it right

• Meg24
    Options

We're not talking about having to find a few quid to pay for specs though, he's talking about consigning whole categories of people to destitution and probable early death. Bit different.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,537 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

OK but in fairness I never said I agreed with him or anything

Not joining in with the orgy of hatred doesn't mean I am on his side either

Just, I'd encourage people to read all sides carefully before just blindly going into a rage

Have a nice evening though

• Meg24
    Options

There's nothing blind about my rage I assure you and it's only directed at the right people.

There's no room for sitting on the fence here, what they're proposing is literally democidal, it's a huge step backwards in how we look after vulnerable people in our society.

When such extremes are proferred, there's no 'both sides' because what that does is legitimise the abhorrent. There's a time for balance, and this is not one those times.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,927 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Number of things today connected and not connected to us, inflation tomorrow will come down to 2.1%, the IMF has identified a £30 billion hole in public finances in the UK this excludes the £10 billion promised to infected blood victims and a strong possibility that he will call the election tomorrow for July 4th (not sure I believe that one). As for Mel Stride he's just playing to the daily mail gallery.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ralph
    Ralph Community member Posts: 107 Pioneering
    Options

It’s the run up to an election they need someone to blame for the disaster they have made.
    Don’t look at us look at them.

• letitbe
    letitbe Community member Posts: 417 Pioneering
    Options

my head can’t deal with it all

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.