Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Psychoanalytical therapy

Options
letitbe
letitbe Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering

started using part of my pip to pay for private therapy, had a few sessions and find it really difficult because it’s really going back and trying to understand what’s caused my emotional difficulties since childhood . Lots of crying and leaves me emotional drained that I just go home and get into bed. CBT / MBT / DBT was difficult but this is next level. If I want to get better I really need to push through this. Has anyone had Psychoanalytical therapy ?

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,928 Scope online community team
    Options

Hi @letitbe, I haven't specifically had just psychoanalytical therapy but I have had integrative therapy that includes some psychoanalytical stuff along the way. I did find that especially at first it wasn't the easiest to deal with and left me feeling quite raw at points, so I can relate to getting home from a session and having to go to bed! As you say, it can be really emotionally draining!

Have you talked through with your therapist how it's affecting you and whether there are any coping strategies that you might be able to put in place? Or if things are feeling too difficult, it might be worth asking if you can slow down a little or spend a week doing some lighter therapy. It doesn't mean you wont make progress, it just means that you're going at a pace that keeps you feeling a little more in control.

One thing that also helped me at the time was to try to focus on not putting too much pressure on myself in any other aspect of my life. So not overloading myself, taking on too much or expecting myself to be a certain way. Just bearing in mind that I was going through something and needed to be patient with myself was quite freeing for me.

I hope it starts feeling a little easier soon 😊

Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • letitbe
    Options

thanks Rosie , you’ve made some really good points and things to def go over with the therapist, I’m really hoping that this will help in the long term and I’ll be able to deal with the difficult times in a healthier way . Thanks for the advice and I’ll def take it on board .

• Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options

Yes, I've been having psychotherapy for over 20 years.

It's very different to the cognitive therapies, it's designed to work with the subconscious as well as the conscious parts of us, parts we may have suppressed due to trauma which can leave us with many issues like chronic anxiety and depression.

It's a long process and very hard work, and it's very difficult to do, but once you get over the initial stages it's definitely worth it.

I think it's important to be aware that you may go through many stages, you might have a honeymoon period, especially if you've been struggling for a long time waiting for help, or you may find it difficult from the very beginning, because it's a way of working with ourselves that we are not used to doing in our society.

When I first started I used to get terrible migraines afterwards, my therapist assured me that these would pass and they did, but it was very challenging. I have been through many phases in the 20 years, false epiphanies, resistance, disengaging and relapsing. I've always come back and always stuck at it in some form.

I think there are 2 very important things to bear in mind, that not every therapist will be the right fit for you and they should be able to admit that themselvesand have an honest conversation with you about any blind spots they may have - all therapists are required to participate in ongoing supervision, sort of therapy for the therapist, that helps them work through their own feelings and abilities. If they are putting pressure on you not to question their compatibility then I would consider it valid to question their integrity. When having these conversations you may become aware that any fears or bad feelings you have towards the therapist come from within, from past experiences or hidden parts, this is some of the important work in therapy, but it can feel like you want to leave. After the initial few months, I have an agreement that I will have a run down period of 10-12 weeks, to process my desire to leave and to make sure that it's not just part of me being resistant and running away.

It's s important to remember that you probably will feel worse at times, therapy sort of breaks us apart, gets us to understand all the parts, then helps us to put them back together, this time in the right way, in a healthier way than we were fit together before. It's important to get to this stage, however we only need to start it in therapy, we can continue to complete it on our own once we know how.

Lastly, remember even the therapist is not perfect, I often feel down when I realise I've not been able to stick to my agreements about how I manage myself, but no-one can be 100% healthy all of the time, humans are meant to be flawed.

I hope it goes well for you. Stick at it with the right person.

• letitbe
    Options

Thanks Meg, you’ve made really good points and in my last session she did say it wouldn’t be linear . I have been feeling a lot of resistance already and have been questioning the therapist ( this is something I’ve done with every therapist I’ve had ) so I know it’s a pattern in me. She did say this type of therapy is long term work , I did have a year of psychodynamic on the nhs years ago but this psychoanalytical seems even more intense and in depth. I’ve even been messaging other therapists but I know that’s maybe me wanting to run away from the difficulties, it’s really tiring. You’ve had 20 years of psychotherapy ? Is this private or nhs ? It’s really difficult for me to know a good therapist from a bad one because I’m so desperate to feel ok and find someone / anyone that can help.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,164 Scope online community team
    Options

I've had a few courses of EMDR and as others have said, things tend to get worse before they get better, you're basically breaking yourself down and rebuilding. But I found them really helpful for me.

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.