Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

We get through an election....

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,112 Disability Gamechanger

Without too much arguing then what do I see but and argument and bang a closed thread, someone says bully and bang they are shut down.

Come on scope I know its Sunday night but can we get it right ?

2024 Election won

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,110 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I was accused of being a bully, which I'm not. Are you saying it's alright for someone to accuse someone of this? It's not nice to be accused of doing something you haven't done. I've never bullied anyone in my life and at my age I'm highly unlikely to start doing so now.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,112 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options

I know you didn't, I never said you did, I said "someone" I didn't mean that was you. Sorry if you thought I meant it was you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 627 Pioneering
    edited July 7
    Options

Poppy, your consistent engagement in positive and respectful interactions within our community is well recognised. It's truly surprising to hear that you've been accused of bullying. Remember, such unfounded claims can cause significant harm and can also undermine the seriousness of actual bullying incidents. This accusation does not define you, nor should it affect your self-esteem or confidence. Stay true to yourself and continue to contribute positively to our community.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,165 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I think if anyone is accused of being a bully, yet alone poppy who helps as many people as she can day after day, then the Scope team were correct in closing the thread. It's not about the content of a thread, rather someone 'incorrectly' calling another a bully. These sort of comments should not be tolerated, as they're personal attacks.

I totally agree with MW123's above kind comment, &, 'yes' such unfounded claims do cause significant harm!

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 627 Pioneering
    Options

I fully agree with you Chiarieds. When someone resorts to personal insults or unfounded accusations in a discussion, it often signals a departure from reasoned argumentation. In such cases, it might be necessary to close the thread to maintain the discussion's quality and prevent it from deteriorating further. Exchanges of views thrive in an environment of mutual respect and civility. Participants who engage in disrespectful behaviour may detract from the conversation and impede productive discussion.

• poppy123456
    Options

@MW123 @chiarieds thank you both!

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.