Rent Arrears — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Rent Arrears

ScopeHelpline Member Posts: 207 Courageous
The UK is facing a rent debt crisis according to debt charity Money Advice Trust . Rent arrears are the fastest growing debt problem, and renters are becoming more likely to seek help with their debts. In 2010 just 6.3 per cent of callers to the MAT's National Debtline, were in rent arrears. In 2013 that number has risen to 12.3 per cent.
Joanna Elson, Chief Executive of the Money Advice Trust said: The long-term trend for rising rent prices is clear and its impact on the debt landscape is significant. Rent arrears are now the fastest growing debt problem we help people with at National Debtline, and we are in danger of falling into a rent debt crisis.
We would like to hear from you if you have rent arrears and you are struggling to get back on track. Have you been affected by the


  • Confused
    Confused Member Posts: 15
    I was evicted onto the streets by the city of London council for just owing £350 after I refused to pay my service charge because the council did not put adaptions into the flat.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Confused,

    That's an awful situation to be in. I'm really sorry that you were evicted for not paying the service charge. Non-payment of service charges counts as non-payment of rent and is a breach of tenancy. The landlord can take possession proceedings but there is a legal process that they have to follow. Were you able to access help at the time to try and stop the eviction? Have you found alternative housing now?
    Thank you for sharing your experience, if you want to talk more let me know.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.