Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
The Loooong Summer Holidays!
OK, it's only week two but I am struggling! My son loves the routine and timetable of school and generally would prefer to be there 52 weeks a year. He does go to holiday club (at his school) for a bit but it is 17 miles away so almost not worth driving there and back and there and back. When he's at home he would play on the iPad all day - going over and over short clips of teletubbies or tweenies (and he's 11) which I don't think is great for him but it is hard to engage him in play. I do do mini timetables as it does really help him to have a PECS strip but I'll put 10 little activities on there and we're done in half an hour and there is the rest of the day to cope with. Obviously I take him out but he screams at the noise of children playing which is tricky in the summer and we do have the paddling pool out etc etc. I wonder if anyone else finds the holidays difficult and how you help to structure them for your children?
- 50.4K All Categories
- 10K Start here and say hello!
- 4.3K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 137 Community updates
- 11.6K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 685 Work and employment
- 540 Education
- 1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 959 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 258 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 252 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.9K Talk about money
- 1.9K Benefits and financial support
- 4.3K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.7K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.1K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.8K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 615 Chronic pain and pain management
- 670 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 727 Autism and neurodiversity
- 875 Mental health and wellbeing
- 291 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.