Possible cramp or muscle spasms after swimming — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Possible cramp or muscle spasms after swimming

Options
shelby2003
shelby2003 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My eldest little monster Connor (7) has spastic CP. He loves swimming and we take him whenever we can. He also has hydro each week with school.
In the last month, after swimming in the morning Connor has started screaming and crying uncontrollably later the same day. It's never immediately after always a couple of hours later. We can't see anything obvious as to what is causing him pain but it seems to come in waves and he feels tighter than usual when it happens. Has anybody seen anything like this before? It's heart braking to see him scream and cry and not be able to help him

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Shelby2003, just a thought..Does he suffer with his Ears ? water especially from pools can irritate and be really painful, my youngest is really sensitive to pain he hates eyelashes and will scream the place down if one goes in his eye. Occassionally, couple of hours after swimming he will tell us my ears are hurting me and start crying and rocking and we found laying him flat each side for a couple of minutes after swimming allows water to drain (or tilting his head and gently massaging his ear if out and about ! ), sometimes it was enough to settle him if not Calpol. Also make sure he has enough fluid after swimming so he's not dehydrated as this may cause cramp...fingers crossed you can work out the cause and he can continue to enjoy his swimming...
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    That's a good idea Kentishlady, it's so difficult trying to guess what's happening sometimes!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.