Learning difficulties or autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Learning difficulties or autism

Options
w27nat
w27nat Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi everybody I have a 3 1/2 year old son who has spastic dipligia who thankfully is mobile. The problem I have is he has very little communication skills and has learning problems. I haven't had a diagnosis of autism yet but I am on with this. He is constantly opening and closing doors and wanting to turn things on and off. He has really bad meltdowns and it is controlling what I do with my life and what we do as a family. Has anyone else gone through this and how do you manage. I can't watch tv, I can't touch his toys, I can't vacuum the house, I can't even listen to the radio and when we are in the car I listen to the same CD over and over again it is driving me crazy!

Comments

• Sneezy
    Sneezy Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    W27Nat, it does sound like autistic traits or at the very least a sensory processing disorder. Yeah, my son listens to the same part of a record again and again. We have those "stair gates" on several of our doors (bathroom/kitchen) and my son slams them shut as they make an off-pitch clang. It sounds to me like he is getting a sensory stimulation from "making noise". I can't Hoover with him in the house. Bet your son hates the washing machine? Do his pupils dilate as he repeats the stimulation? Does it affect his sleep? There is a brilliant book called "The Out of Sync Child" and I think that there may be parts of that book that you recognize. I would also suggest a foot/hand/arm/head massage (not all of these at the same time,just one or two) might allow your son to have a physical form of touch that will satisfy that need and reduce the chances/opportunities for a meltdown.
  • w27nat
    w27nat Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Sneezy. Thanks for responding I appreciate any help at all. I definitely will be getting the book you mentioned it might help me understand a lot more. I will also give the massaging a go as well. PS the washing machine seems to be the only thing he doesn't mind but guess what! He's more interested in opening and closing the door when it finishes. Thanks again
  • Sneezy
    Sneezy Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    Oh dear, if the washing machine doesn't set him off, maybe I am completely wrong!!! I forgot to say when you massage, it's the heel of your Palm that works (if it's called that) - the squishy biit above the wrist but before the fingers. Essentially the bit where you would roll a bit of playdoh to make it longer.When you do it a few times, it kinda instinctively feels right.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.