Grant/funding for home adaptations — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Grant/funding for home adaptations

linzowillo Member Posts: 1
My partners little boy has spastic cerebral palsy, he is 4 and we have just been told the nerves in his lower legs are not being reached by his brain so he will never walk. He currently lives with his mum in England but we live here in Wales and need to find out if we can get some funding to adapt our house (that we own) for him for when he comes to stay - usually every two weeks and all over his school holidays. We need a downstairs loo/shower room and also a stairlift. His mum is currently in the processs of being moved to a suitable home as she is in a privately rented house at the moment. Are there any organisations we can contact to help us and/or has anyone had any similar experiences in relation to this? Help!


  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Dear linzowillo,

    Thank you for posting your question.
    The main provision for adaptations will be made for the home which is the child's main residence. However it would be worth speaking to your own local authority to see if they can provide some discretionary help with funding although I must stress that this is a bit of a long shot.
    Alternatively you could apply for grants from charitable organisations to help fund those adaptations. There is a very good grants database on the website so it might be worth having a search through the database to see if you can find some funding.
    You could also contact your local DIAL and you can find your nearest service in our services directory
    Keep in touch and let me know how you get on and if there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to post here or contact me at the helpline 0808 800 3333 [email protected]

    Kind regards


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.