Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Moving House and Area

LibLib Member Posts: 13 Listener
edited January 2015 in Disabled people
Hi All
We want to move to a different area because of my husbands work. My son has a very good care package now (that we had to fight hard for) and I'm worried that because he will be reassessed in the new area, he may get a lot less. Has anyone moved house to a different area, what happened? Any advice?


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21 Courageous
    Hi Lib
    My advice would be to check out the new local authority’s local offer and the eligibility threshold at which they provide different services; you can do this by going on the council’s website.
    The local offer should give information setting out what support is available to families with children who have disabilities or SEN. It should also explain how families can request personal budgets, make complaints and access more specialist help.
    There are lots of charities and organisations that can provide support should you face difficulties obtaining an appropriate care package for your son, Scopes helpline 0808 800 3333 can give you further details.

    Best Wishes,

  • LibLib Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi Michelle
    My son is now 18 so comes under the adult team. He ticks all of the boxes in every aspect as he is unable to do anything at all for himself. I'm just worried that after a long and hard battle to get the support that he needs, we'll have to start all over again :-(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21 Courageous
    Hi Lib

    Sorry I assumed your son came under the children's team.

    I can understand why you are worried because at present the law does not provide protection for people who move to a different area. Although this should change when the Care Act comes into force in April https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-act-2014-part-1-factsheets.

    It might be an idea to contact a local carers group in the new area to get a feel for the type of provision that's available and also so that you can get some local support.

    I hope the move goes well and you don't face anymore battles!

  • LibLib Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Thanks for the link Michelle, I'll study it tonight :-)
    I have been in touch with local groups but no one wants to know or help until we are actually in the area! I have found a fantastic day centre for younger people but it's the care package that worries me :-(
Sign in or join us to comment.