getting back to work, with support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

getting back to work, with support

happymac
happymac Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi, I was a postman for ten years from 2003 till 2013, when I was kind of forced into I'll health retirement.
The job became to physically demanding for me, and although Royal Mail did offer alternative work they didn't try very hard.
I have minimal cerebral palsy, which affects my right side, and general wear and tear with osteoarthritis to the left. Also, the main reason for giving up work, was severe depression, which I am still currently fighting with counselling and strong medication.
I don't think I am doing myself any favours now just sitting around. The whole family are suffering. My relationship with my wife is at an all time low.
I need to be seen to making an effort to return to work, but I'm scared.
What support is available for me if I wish to try for work?

Comments

• TraceyAbbott
    TraceyAbbott Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hey HappyMac it all seems really **** at the moment I'm sure. I didn't work after a car crash for a year in 209 before I came here so I really do understand the stresses on you and your loved ones.  Consider some temp work to get your office muscles back or even some volunteer work for a couple of weeks. It will lift you immediately I promise. You will have build up your strength again but the great news is Access to Work can help you. I use them for travel support which means I have a much more relaxed journey into work . this in turn allows me to do a better job as I'm fresher when I'm here. Talk to them direct at https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/how-to-claim. Its also worth re approaching Royal mail to see if they have any internal roles that have come up since you have left. I do a lot of work with Royal mail and they definitely do go the extra mile and I'm sorry top hear that wasn't the case with you.

Going to work has so many positives on you and your family and on the community at large so to borrow a great book title,. "Feel the Fear but do it anyway". Best of luck

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering

Hello happymac,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. I have nothing new to offer other than what Tracey has already advised. Temping can be a great way to get back into the workforce. Volunteering is also a great way of getting back out there and learning a whole new skills set which can lead to all sorts of opportunities. Depending on your financial situation and whether you are currently in receipt of benefits or not and all the other financial aspects of things; is it worth looking at some courses so that you can learn some new skills and maybe explore a whole new career path? Do you have any hobbies or interests that you could turn into a self-employment opportunity? There's lots of things to explore but it is also very important that you keep your health in check, physically and mentally. You're not alone in feeling the way that you do. I speak to people all the time in similar situations. I hope that you have found some reassurance and useful advice here on the online community. It would be great if you could let us know how you get on with things and if you need any further advice please do get in touch. There's such a diverse range of people here you shouldn't be short of ideas and information. 

Good luck and best wishes

Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.