Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
getting back to work, with support
hi, I was a postman for ten years from 2003 till 2013, when I was kind of forced into I'll health retirement.
The job became to physically demanding for me, and although Royal Mail did offer alternative work they didn't try very hard.
I have minimal cerebral palsy, which affects my right side, and general wear and tear with osteoarthritis to the left. Also, the main reason for giving up work, was severe depression, which I am still currently fighting with counselling and strong medication.
I don't think I am doing myself any favours now just sitting around. The whole family are suffering. My relationship with my wife is at an all time low.
I need to be seen to making an effort to return to work, but I'm scared.
What support is available for me if I wish to try for work?
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.