Cerebal Palsy — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Cerebal Palsy

Kieran Fawcett
Kieran Fawcett Member Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Research and opportunities
Hi I am a student at teesside university, studying interior architect as part of my studies I have been asked to research a topic I know very little about. I choose to research the illness of Cerebal Palsy and how it effect the living conditions and life of a person, it would be very beneficial if i could talk to someone suffering or is living with a person with this condition 

 Thank You in advance 

 Kieran Fawcett


  • milo
    milo Member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Hi Kieran. What kind of information are you after? Cerebral Palsy comes in many forms and each has it's own challenges. For myself, I use a wheelchair and live in an adapted house. Am happy to answer any questions you may have.
  • ShirleyMason
    ShirleyMason Member Posts: 2
    I have CP and I am 54 years old. What information are you after ?

  • Rocky
    Rocky Member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Kieran. Firstly cerebral palsy is not an illness, it is a condition caused by damage or an impairment to the immature (up to the age of 5 or 6) brain.  Whilst the actual impairment to the brain cannot be altered, it is possible to help with the effects of cerebral palsy on the body.  People with CP generally have problems with their motor control and muscle tone although they could have sensory and other impairments.  The condition is specific to the individual and no two people will be effected in the same way.  Therefore this is going to be quite a difficult area to research as the living conditions and needs of people with cerebral palsy will differ with each individual depending on how they are effected.  You may find it helpful to read more about he condition in general but also, if you can, talk to health professionals, independent living centres and therapists such as Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Speech & Language Therapists.  The area you are trying to research is very, very broad so you may find it helpful to be very specific with your criteria.  Hope this helps.
  • sweetestmoondust
    sweetestmoondust Member Posts: 5
    Hi I have cp and it is extremely broad the best way I would suggest you go to a local scope centre and ask politely around as it's so different in each case. It is not a illness it is a condition caused by lack of oxygen to the cerebellum at some stage. This can be from or before birth or even a accident can cause it. The best place to study children with cp is via an amazing charity that helps children gain their individuality and that is the bobath centre. I was taught to walk by them, and they help adults who have suffered strokes as it is a similar effect.
  • Stripes
    Stripes Member Posts: 24 Listener
    Hi Kieran

    I have had Cerebral Palsy and as part of my job I do talks on the condition to students and professionals.

    I would be happy to give you further information on the condition and how it affects me on a day to day basis.

    Please sent me a post if you want further information


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.


Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community Guidelines.