Hi, my name is lynw! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lynw!

lynw
lynw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2015 in Start here and say hello!
I am the mother of 3 beautiful boys. Tragically my youngest one suffered a near drowning accident at the age of 17months and is now left with a severe brain injury. I am designing a new clothing label for children with additional needs and would like to get some feedback from parents on their clothing frustrations.

Comments

• lynw
    lynw Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello!

I am fairly new to this group but wanted to tell my story
    and hopefully get some feedback from you all. Tragically my youngest son (I
    have 3) had a near drowning accident when he was 17months old. As a result he
    is now severely disabled, within minutes my whole world changed and I found
    myself in the daunting world of disability. It has been and still is a very
    tough journey. My son cannot walk or talk and  is peg fed and suffers daily from seizures and
    spasms...but he is still my beautiful little boy and my focus is to make each
    day the best it can be for him. One of the many things that struck me was the
    lack of clothing for children in wheelchairs and with gastrostomys and other
    needs…with a background in luxury fashion I decided to have a go at putting
    together a high quality, funky clothes label for children with additional
    needs. So…I would be really grateful to get any feedback from you on your clothing
    frustrations so that I can really focus on what these children really need. The
    first Item I am working on is a bodysuit/all in one that allows access to gastrostomys(different
    to the designs currently on the market), prevents wandering hands, provides comfort
    when in a wheelchair and looks GREAT…so think Breton stripes, cool prints and
    soft fabrics with no labels and flat seams! 
    ANY feedback would be great! 

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Fantastic idea about the clothes, please make sure you let us know what you come up with. I look after a couple of little ones who have incredibly high muscle tone, and we really struggle with getting dressed - coats that open at the back are very useful indeed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.