Drooling surgery — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drooling surgery

forgoodnesssake
forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
edited August 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Just wondered if anyone has experience of submandibular gland ligation for drooling in CP? I know about the Scope info...I am looking for some real life experiences of it for my 17 year old son. Thanks

Comments

• Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi, I do not have any direct experience but I know this type of surgery is quite common for drooling and I also understand that Botox injections can also be effective in controlling excess drooling although the injections need to be repeated every few months.
    Have you spoken to your son's doctor to ensure this is the best option for him? I hope you get responses from people who have direct experience of this surgery to help both of you make a decision.
  • Webbis
    Webbis Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    We haven't tried the surgery but have had good results from the botox injections.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.