Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Any tips on improving breath control for a pre-schooler?

NoelleNoelle Member Posts: 3
Hi, does anyone know any fun games & activities to help a little one to breathe in more deeply & to breathe out slowly & with more control? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• WebbisWebbis Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Blowing helps with breathing more deeply. You automatically take a deeper breath afterwards.  We've been using a child's windmill with my daughter  - though holding it a good angle for her to blow was tricky.  Blowing bubbles can help too, either with a wand and bubble mixture or maybe with a straw into a fizzy drink.
  • howautisticfeelshowautisticfeels Member Posts: 2
    I understand it's probably going to be difficult but try to improve kiddo's posture as much as possible with physical supports. I've heard good foot stability and a supportive chair helps with breathing. Grain of salt, though, as this was from a feeding therapy resource rather than a disability specific one. They say many feeding problems are caused by breathing problems in turn caused by ill-fitting seating & the resulting difficult posture/balance.
Sign in or join us to comment.