ESA Cont and education — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA Cont and education

HI, I have been medically retired since I was 29 and i am now 35/36 and considering doing a degree.

I am currently on ESA Contribution based (Support Group) and DLA Lower tier carers and Higher tier Mobility.

Can I go to university and learn without affecting my ESA as I will still need support financially.

Does anyone know the rules as the job center can never seem to give me a straight answer without phoning several people.


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hello s1m0n,

    Disability Rights UK has a Disabled Students Helpline which can give you the advice you need to help you make your decision.
    This is quite a complicated area so I think it would be best if you speak with one of their advisers about this. It might be possible for you to study with no impact on your ESA and DLA however due to the complexities involved I can't guarantee this. Going into studying could prompt a review of your ESA and a change in circumstances like studying could bring forward your DLA ending and the need to claim PIP.
    It's great that you've decided to study and gain a degree, I wish you all the best and hope that you're able to get a definitive answer from Disability Rights UK. I would love to hear how you get on.

    Good luck
  • Abnoba
    Abnoba Member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hello s1m0n
    Do you still need help wit this issue?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.