My daughter — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

My daughter

ames36 Member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask an Educational Psychologist.


  • ames36
    ames36 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    My daughter is year 3 (7 11 months) in an independent school and has been receiving a half an hour's extra support per week for the last two years for query dyslexia. This involves phonics with a support teacher. The SENCO has done various tests and has suggested we wait until year 4 before she is formally assessed by an EP. Her reading is ATOL 3.6 so I think she is about right for that, her spelling is awful and we are only making progress with the introduction of a word box at home and copious repetition and multi-sensory strategies. She doesn't like writing but can write OK when she tries. She is finding Maths difficult, in particular learning her times tables. The school reports that she seems to understand Maths but works very slowly. Her class teacher seems on the ball and tailors her work appropriately. My questions are:
    1) Is half an hour a week enough?
    2) Would having an ed psyche report help at this stage?
    3) Would an ed psyche report have to be done privately because we are in the private system?

    Thanks for your advice.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Hello Ames36, please scroll down...

    1) Is half an hour a week enough? You would need an assessment to fully understand your daughter's strengths and needs, and for recommendations as to type and length of interventions.

    2) Would having an ed psyche report help at this stage? No need to wait until year 4, she can be assessed now. Assessment would help you to understand strengths/difficulties and what needs to be put in place with regards to her learning.

    3) Would an ed psyche report have to be done privately because we are in the private system? In theory no, she is entitled to access Local Authority Services. In practice yes, as such services are limited in time and may not offer assessment services, just consultation. If you seek a private assessment, please note that the school are likely to expect you to fund any interventions that are recommended, as they are an independent provision.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.