Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I'm finding it hard to understand my son's strange habit

Replies

• PamPam Member Posts: 3
    Hello! I have a 16 years old son with learning difficulties. I was told (2001) by a Clinical Child Psychologist that he has a chemical imbalance. What I am finding hard to understand is this strange habit, if it can be called that. I keep in the bathroom a face towel that I use the clean around the bathroom. I also keep one in the kitchen. What my son will do for no apparent reason is to go to the bathroom and kitchen to wet these face towels and leave them as if he is drying them. The face towels would be soaking wet that they drip. He generally does this when I am not nearby. It's as if, if the face towels are not soaking wet, he can't relax. I have told him to stop what he's doing and given a reason why he should not do so. I have also asked him why he does what he does, he says he does not know why. I need your help to try and understand why he is behaving this way. Thank you.
    Pam
  • BusyOTBusyOT Member Posts: 76
    Hi Pam, I'm really sorry but I don't think I can help. I'm not sure what the psychologist meant by "chemical imbalance" and what this means for your son.
    When we analyse behaviours we look at what the purpose or function of the behaviour is (e.g. to escape from a task, communication, sensory etc etc). His behaviour doesn't obviously sound like any of these - and therefore outwith my expertise, sorry. I do, however, have a friend who is a Consultant Child Psychologist and with your permission I could ask her for some advice. Let me know if you would like me to ask. Arlene
  • PamPam Member Posts: 3
    Hello Arlene! Thank you for getting back to me on my concern about my son. Yes you have my persmission to consult with a Consultant Child Psychologist for advice. Thank you. Pam
  • BusyOTBusyOT Member Posts: 76
    Pam, I have chatted with my friend, the Consultant Child Psychologist, about your son and I'm afraid we are not much help! Neither of us quite understand your son's diagnosis from the info you give and it is very difficult to understand why behaviours occur when you don't know the client. I'm also not able to comment on individual cases in the forum. My advice, however, is to contact the Learning Disability Nurse for further assessment (if you don't already have contact the GP can refer you). The nurse should be able to chat through with you his behaviours and then refer to the relevant professsional in the team. Sorry I can't be more help but hopefully you will be able to access health professionals who will be able to help you understand his behaviours.
Sign in or join us to comment.