Practical support and information
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help for disabled

Mum n dad r 82, mum disabled n dad just gone in hospital with stroke and memory probs. I daughter only person to drive mum to hospital but have to work, is there any organisation that would take mum to see dad daily at hospital as she needs a helper


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited April 2016
    Hey Piccostar,

    what an awful situation, I'm so sorry to hear about this!  I'm assuming your mum would need help going from the front door to your dad's ward and so a taxi isn't appropriate?

    Have your parents got any support in place from the local authority?   If so, it may be worth alerting their adult social care team to what's going on.  They might be able to provide some help.

    There might be local organisations that could lend a hand - you could use the services directory on the scope website ( ) or you could also speak with Age UK locally - their local branches tend to run services that are helpful to older people.  Perhaps they can help?

    Good luck getting somewhere with it

  • StripesStripes Member Posts: 24 Listener

    Dear Piccostar,

    I am Ian Jones the Information and Advice Worker for Scope and part of my role is to respond to the post on the community Forum.

    I am responding to your concern about the difficulty your Mum is having in visiting your Dad.

    There is one option you may wish to consider is you could try contacting your local voluntary transport service, they provide a transport service to take people for hospital appointments and other medical appointments.

    If you contact your local group and explain your situation they may be able to offer to take you Mum to visit your Dad.

    There is a strong possibility that their criteria for using the service is that you have to be a patient going to the hospital and not the carer.

    But if you contact them anyway and explain the situation that you are by the fact that your Mother is unable to drive and that due to your work commitments you are unable to take you Mum to the hospital on a regular basis. They may find away around their criteria

    If you go into Google and type in Voluntary Car Scheme (and the name of your nearest town) then it will hopefully give you the contact for the local Voluntary Car Scheme



Sign in or join us to comment.