Difficulty getting in/out of taxi. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulty getting in/out of taxi.

Options
the_velvet_girl
the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
I'm not able to manage the big step up in to a wheelchair accessable taxi and can't manage the ramp without help. Until recently most drivers would hold my hand to help me balance but now the drivers are saying they are not allowed to touch passengers to assist them. They are also not allowed to let passengers sit in the front. This means I have to always pre book a standard car style taxi. I was invited out for dinner tonight but couldn't go as I had a two hour wait for a taxi that I could get in. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Comments

• the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Also any techniques to get in/out of a taxi would be appreciated. I "bum shuffled" up the ramp last week as the firm I used sent a wheelchair taxi by mistake. I then ended up covered in dirt from the ramp. The driver was very apologetic and refused a tip and stated he felt the new rules were political correctness gone mad but he didn't want to break the rules in case he got dismissed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.