Abnormally strong bladder — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Abnormally strong bladder

Options
liayn85
liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited June 2016 in Cerebral palsy
It was recently brought to my attention by a friend during a vacation that I was rarely going to the bathroom, yet drinking a lot of liquids. I do not feel the need to go to the bathroom unless I really have to go and my bladder is very full. I easily get dehydrated, which I attribute to my spastic muscles, and so i drink maybe 70+ ounces of water throughout the day.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I am now a little concerned that maybe I am unknowingly harming my bladder due to any sensation or contraction that I may not be feeling. I have done some research online, and I only see the opposite, incontinence, as a condition associated with CP. I can spend the day out without using the bathroom, while all my female friends are going to the bathroom 2 or 3 times in that timeframe.

I have mild spastic hemiplegia. Also, I have always thought that because I learned to go to the toilet when I was one but didn't learn to walk until I was about 4, maybe because I had to wait for someone to take me for 3 years of my life I developed this strong bladder.

Comments

• YoungCarerOverHere
    YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Options
    It sounds like you have quite the hypothesis of your own there! I have no experience in this area but I suggest, even if there are no negative health effects visible to you now, that you speak to a professional if possible. Just to be on the safe side and put your mind at ease?
  • liayn85
    liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Yeah I'll see a doctor when I am able. I'm interested in getting feedback from other CP sufferers in case this is happening to anyone else.
    After a lifetime of symptoms and conditions and syndromes and 21 years of PT and OT, plus a heightened need to know how my body is stressed etc., I'd say I'm pretty good at hypothesizing lol.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.