Is it possible to get a supporting letter from somewhere? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Is it possible to get a supporting letter from somewhere?

Violet Member Posts: 2
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.


  • Violet
    Violet Member Posts: 2
    Hi Hannah we have a little girl DOB 17-8-12 (summer born). We have applied to defer her school start from 2016 to 2017.  We decided to do this after reading Nick Gibb the educational ministers letter to schools allowing parents to do this.  Unfortunately the admissions authority in our area is refusing us on the grounds of no professional evidence ( although the 2014 admissions code states we don't need any).  This is how I have come across you.  Our little girl started nursery in September 2015 but experienced separation anxiety, which then progressed to her not being able to sleep worrying about having to go to school not eating and wetting the bed it was just awful for her.  I decided to de register because the school were saying if she did more sessions she would get better ( as parents we didn't agree) she simply wasn't ready.  I think what I'm asking you is, is it possible to get a supporting letter from somewhere ? The nursery teacher firstly gave me her full support but then had a change of heart when the head teacher said she had to write her report saying she would be school ready.  We have two other children a 12 and 7. Feb/sept born. 
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Hello Karen, you could employ an independent educational psychologist to do an assessment and write a report but a. You would be looking to pay £500-1000 and b. No guaruntee that the conclusion would support your view. It's a frustrating and unclear area. Have you gone back to the admissions authority to challenge their response? 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.