Special needs schools — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Special needs schools

Options
Joe93
Joe93 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2016 in Research and opportunities
Hello my names Joe
I have been asked to give a speech on disability rights, and i will like to look at peoples experiences with special need schools.
Having learning disability's myself, i have been to too special need schools, where i have had a mixed experience.
But it will be good to hear other peoples experiences

thanks for reading 
Joe  :)

Comments

• Mary38
    Mary38 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Hello Joe

My son is deaf and learning disabled with mild cerebral palsy. He went to primary and secondary schools for deaf children as we felt he needed an environment where everyone signed and was deaf aware. He needed class sizes to be small and quieter than mainstream. He gained a lot from attending a special school but now that the Royal School for Deaf Children, Margate has closed, other children with a similar disability do not have the same opportunity. Many schools for deaf children are closing and it is very difficult to provide the right quiet environment in mainstream so that residual hearing can be used and sign language promoted in order for deaf children to communicate directly with their hearing peers without relying on a sign language interpreter or communicator.

I hope this helps you with your speech on disability rights. Good luck with your research.

Mary

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.