I'm on PIP. Am I entitled to a blue badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm on PIP. Am I entitled to a blue badge?

This discussion was created from comments split from: PIP extra help/entitlement?.


  • denzel
    denzel Member Posts: 2
    hello im need of some help im currently ion PIP im am getting im getting evryday living and also low rate mobiltty. i get about 71 a week  i was woundering if i wasin tiled to a blue badge. becuase my family take car of me and take me laces i need to go. also a bus pass meny thanks 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey Denzel,

    blue badges come from the local authority - there are two ways to get one. 
    the first is if you get high rate mobility, then a blue badge is automatic.
    if you don't get high rate mobility then you'll need to meet the discretionary criteria - these should be set out on your local authority website under the section on applying for a blue badge.

    Some local authorities also offer free or discounted travel - it's up to them what they provide, so it is worth checking out on their website.

    -Beth x
  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Denzel,

    As Beth has mentioned above you can qualify for a Blue Badge automatically if you're in receipt of enhanced rate PIP mobility but it's also possible to automatically qualify if 
    • You live in England and have been awarded 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ activity of personal independence payment (PIP).
    • You live in Scotland or Wales and have been awarded 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ activity or 12 points in the ‘planning and following journeys activity’ of PIP.
    As Beth said, if you don't automatically qualify for a Blue Badge, your local authority can assess you using their discretionary criteria.
    If you want to apply online, here's the link https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge 

    Your local authority will also be able to advise you on how to qualify for a bus pass. If you get stuck and you'd like us to look up your council and find you the information you need, let us know.

    All the best
  • Spottylegs
    Spottylegs Member Posts: 5 Listener
    It's here here in Northern Ireland and now costs £10.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    in Wales it cost £2


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.