Benefits available when caring for a relative — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefits available when caring for a relative

the_velvet_girl Member Posts: 107 Courageous
My mother has recently became unwell and is frequently having "funny turns" and passing out. Mum is under investigations for this just now.

She is now scared to live alone and has asked me to move back in with her. I live about 4 hours away so would have to give up work to do this. I know I won't be able to claim JSA for the 1st 26 weeks of being unemployed but is there any other benefits I could claim?

Unfortunately Mum was not successful in claiming PIP and I'm fairly independent and don't meet the criteria to claim. I feel I can no longer cope with work as Mum is phoning me during the night and I'm then exhausted at work and having falls the next day.


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi the_velvet_girl,

    Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that your Mum is unwell. It's clearly impacting on your own health too. 

    There's lots to look into for both you and your mum.

    How many hours do you work each week and what is your current housing status? Do you rent or own?

    Benefits other than JSA are ESA if you're unable to work because you're ill or disabled. Income Support if you're a carer (but the person you're caring for needs to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit such as DLA or PIP). These are the main income replacement benefits. ESA might be the best way forward because this is affecting your health already and may get worse.

    It sounds as though your Mum would benefit from some local advice to help her with the PIP and any other benefits. When did she make her PIP application, was it recently? 

    You could try running a benefits calculator to see what it highlights but both you and your Mum need to find out your separate entitlements before you make the huge decision to quit work and move back in.

    I'm happy to talk some more with you about this to try and help you make an informed decision. 

    Best wishes
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Member Posts: 107 Courageous
    I work 37.5 hours a week and live in a private rented flat through a letting agent but would be relocating to live with Mum if I give up work. Mum made her PIP application about this time last year. She has really deteriorated since then but is refusing to reapply as she found the PIP assessment quite intrusive. I'm going to keep encouraging her to reapply but she can be stubborn at times! I've tried to get an appointment at Citizens Advice to discuss this but I'm finding it hard to get an appointment with my shift work.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    You've got a lot on your plate right now and lots of decisions to be made and it's hard to do all this when you're at work and can't get an appointment.

    If you want to get in touch with me by email or phone we could talk about this some more (shift work permitting).

    In the meantime check things like your tenancy agreement to see how much notice you need to give your landlord if you decide to end the tenancy. You'' need to start thinking about the practical financial things as well as benefits etc.

    I'm on hand if you need me though so get in touch anytime :)
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Hi Debbie,
    I've managed to get some sick leave from work  so I attended my local carers centre yesterday and spoke to a benefits worker. She was really friendly but did not think I would be entitled to benefits at present. I did realize though that Mum would be ok to be left for a short period of time with a community alarm. I worked in a pizza takeaway as a student for a few hours most evenings so I am looking for a job like this. Working will allow me to get out of the house and give me some mental stimulation and a break from caring.
    Thanks for all you help and advice :)

  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi the_velvet_girl,

    I'm glad that you were able to sit with a benefits adviser and go through everything with her. It's always best to get face to face advice about these types of issues, that way you can make an informed decision.

    I hope it all works out for you and please keep in touch :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.