Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

hip dislocation

mary33mary33 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, we have just discovered our daughter, now aged 25, has displacement of her left hip, it has probably being going on for some time, but is only now starting to give her discomfort. We know we will have a battle getting her treatment, she is profoundly physically and mentally handicapped and the attitude of health professionals towards her can be  quite discriminatory.  We live in the Manchester area and now need to get her referred to a specialist consultant. does anyone have any advice as to where the best facilities might be, and what treatment we might be offered? 


  • buffalobuffalo Member Posts: 18 Listener
    1.  Ask Healthwatch Manchester for information.  2. consider travellingg. the national centres for excellence are Pinderfields Hospitla Wakefield and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore or easiest for you to travel to their Bolsover Street Branch in Central London not far from Euston.  Write to Dr Jim Ashworth-Beaumont in Orthotics and he is a research person as well as "fitter" dedicated to patient comfort.  Your GP can make the referral.  
  • buffalobuffalo Member Posts: 18 Listener
    Dr Jim ashworth-Beaumont Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital Orthotics department. check address onl ine.
  • mary33mary33 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks very much for this, I will check these out. we would definitely consider travelling if it was to see the right person, it sounds as if you have personal experience, how often would we need to go ? I have found over the years that the only way to get something is to be absolutely sure of what you want and be able to back it up with science/ information, so I am aiming to find out as much as possible before going to the GP. 
  • buffalobuffalo Member Posts: 18 Listener
    I have been going to orthotics on and off for the past 60+ years.  Jim is the orthotics person.  You would probably need to see the Consultant once to be authorised and then see Jim for measuring (same day usually); call back for a fitting and third visit for final adjustments.  Jim would advise on how often the appliance needs renewal (it depends on wear and tear).  His doctorate is in orthotics - the fitting of appliances and adjustment to the person. 
Sign in or join us to comment.