New Tech, less disabled friendly — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Tech, less disabled friendly

MSmum99
MSmum99 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
Anyone noticed how new tech, smartphones etc are getting smoother/thinner and less easy to hold? I try and find grippy cases but buttons/chargers (vol etc) also tiny and fiddly.  My DAB radio has blue-tac blobs on them so I can feel the buttons that are almost flush!

Comments

• Jennifer14Owen
    Jennifer14Owen Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Yes especially for people with Irlen syndrome because show people with Irlen how change background.
  • LowiePete
    LowiePete Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Oh yes! Recent Governments have almost totally dismantled the DDA and on the Web we're being dictated to by large entities such as Facebook and PhotoBucket into using a narrow (and dwindling) range of browsers that are not accessible in any acceptable sense. Even Opera, which was the best out there, went over to using the horrid and invasive Google Chrome engine, destroying most of its accessibility features in the process. :neutral:

It's total laziness on their programmers' part and in complete contravention of Web accessibility laws across the World that are clearly toothless! Their managements are being blinded by a bending of the science simply because they don't understand the technology. See it in terms of the parent not able to keep up with and monitor their child.

It totally destroys the point of having an open web following a set of guidelines that are not only accessible, but provide a better experience for everyone.

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    yes!! especially smartphones.... I use an iphone as it has easy to use apps and does what I need it to... however when it comes to up-grading I have a nightmare as the models are getting slimmer and wider, making them harder for me to hold, I have to go into a phone shop when I up grade as the call centre staff just don't seem to get it and must be on commission to push the latest models, so it's easier to explain/demonstrate in person.... I have relatively mild cp, that has a slight affect on my fine motor control and grip. My left side is my more affected side, so I have to hold the phone in my left hand and work it with my right. I'm terrified of dropping phones as the new shapes are getting harder to rest in my hand safely and are a lot more delicate - oh how I miss the brick like, all most indestructible phones of the early noughties!!! (think nokia 3310 - mine survived a motorbike crash in which my femur broke in 3 places!!) One way I have over come this problem is by using a Griffin survivor case - a big rubbery outer shell with a hard plastic inner. I find it makes the phone a lot easier to grip and certainly less likely to get broken!!! It was recommended to me by a builder friend of mine who swears by them, and says that his phone now survives being dropped from scaffolding two storeys up - I haven't tested that myself!!! Although I do regularly drop my phone, spilt things on it, tripped over it and trodden on it, and when you open the case up, the phone looks pristine.... They make the survivor for Ipad too, so I'll be investing in one when I get an Ipad!
  • Hippo_Rugby
    Hippo_Rugby Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I helped provide guidance for an accessible website for the area's Children's Services, it had large easy to read buttons / links that could be accessed easily from tablets / touch screen / eye gaze and was getting some great feedback. The NHS Trust then enforced their web template across the board and made the site inaccessible ! If medical services who are set up for those in need cannot get it right, what hope is there?
  • MSmum99
    MSmum99 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    niceboots said:
    yes!! especially smartphones.... I use an iphone as it has easy to use apps and does what I need it to... however when it comes to up-grading I have a nightmare as the models are getting slimmer and wider, making them harder for me to hold, I have to go into a phone shop when I up grade as the call centre staff just don't seem to get it and must be on commission to push the latest models, so it's easier to explain/demonstrate in person.... I have relatively mild cp, that has a slight affect on my fine motor control and grip. My left side is my more affected side, so I have to hold the phone in my left hand and work it with my right. I'm terrified of dropping phones as the new shapes are getting harder to rest in my hand safely and are a lot more delicate - oh how I miss the brick like, all most indestructible phones of the early noughties!!! (think nokia 3310 - mine survived a motorbike crash in which my femur broke in 3 places!!) One way I have over come this problem is by using a Griffin survivor case - a big rubbery outer shell with a hard plastic inner. I find it makes the phone a lot easier to grip and certainly less likely to get broken!!! It was recommended to me by a builder friend of mine who swears by them, and says that his phone now survives being dropped from scaffolding two storeys up - I haven't tested that myself!!! Although I do regularly drop my phone, spilt things on it, tripped over it and trodden on it, and when you open the case up, the phone looks pristine.... They make the survivor for Ipad too, so I'll be investing in one when I get an Ipad!
    I'll look into the Griffin case, I love the apps on my iPhone but am dreading an upgrade from chunky 4 to 6 as 4 won't do what I want. Hoping to find a case I can train dog to pick up when I drop it too!
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    The griffin case is pretty easy for a dog to pick up as it's made of softish rubber round the edges, my dog picks mine up - mainly when I don't want him to!!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.