Need help - I've lost mobility allowance and carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need help - I've lost mobility allowance and carers allowance

Zeus666 Member Posts: 1
I've lost all my mobility allowance and carers allowance because of pip I don't know where to turn I need to appeal I'm so scared I've got three diseases and I'm always quite poorly 


  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Zeus666. Sorry to hear of your troubles with PIP, @debbievoakes may be able to advise, or you may wish to ring the Scope helpline for free on 0808 800 3333.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello Zeus666,

    So sorry to hear about your PIP and loss of the mobility component and carers allowance. The ripple effect of losing out under PIP is quite devastating as it impacts on other benefits. What were you receiving with DLA and what were you awarded with PIP? How many points did you score in each component?

    You have appeal rights starting with a mandatory reconsideration. You have to request this within a month of the date on your decision letter. If you request one by phone it's best to send a follow up letter too and keep copies of it. We have some information about appealing DWP decisions on the website and we also link to other resources to help with this too.

    You need to go through the decision letter and assessment paperwork to find out where you haven't scored points and challenge everything you don't agree with. If you can provide evidence of how you meet the points this will be helpful. If things happened in your assessment that you didn't agree with then you must also provide details of this and explain if you weren't given time to give an answer or if you felt under pressure or became distressed. If you can get a local advice agency involved they will support you with all of this and if you need to go to tribunal to appeal the decision they may even be able to attend the hearing with you. If you need help finding an advice agency let me know and I'll carry out a search and see what's available in your area.

    It's a lot to do when you're already so poorly but persevere, there are people who can help you and you'll find wonderful support from the community. Lots of people are going through similar issues with PIP so do read through the various PIP related discussions to see how others have tackled their decisions.

    I'm on hand if you want to talk some more about this so do get in touch any time.

    I wish you all the best.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.