Need help looking for a suitable secondary school for my son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need help looking for a suitable secondary school for my son

mrswares Member Posts: 2
My son is in year 5 and the time has come to think about his secondary school. He is physically disabled and uses a wheelchair for long distances and a kaye walker for shorter ones. He is currently 2 years behind his peers at school and has a mild learning disability. He has no behavoural problems and tries hard with work.
He would never cope with the local secondary school and his self esteem would suffer but i,m struggling to fond a school thats suitable for him and I don't know where to look. The local offer is no good it seems i,m looking for a needle in a haystack and help would be so welcomed! Thanks


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,178 Scope online community team
    Hi mrswares
    A very warm welcome to the community! 
    I certain there are people within the community that will be able to advise you on the best course of action. There are community advisers with experience in the field of Education that maybe able to help. Also the Scope helpline maybe useful.
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • NikiM
    NikiM Member Posts: 36 Connected
    Hi. I would suggest contacting your local Parent Partnership Service, they may also be called Independent Advice Support Service. Their details should be on the Council website under Local Offer. They are specialist SEN advisers who are trained to support parents and they will be able to guide you regarding local schools, your child's statement or Education, Health and Care Plan and much more.  Your school SENco should also be able to point you towards them. Hope that helps!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @mrswares

    We would also recommend following the advice that @NikiM has suggested. Let us know how you get on with that and whether they're able to help.
  • mrswares
    mrswares Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the advice!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.