Housing benefit for full time student — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Housing benefit for full time student

Does anyone have any experience of claiming housing benefit as a full-time student living in rented accommodation not in home area?  My son gets enhanced PiP and will be claiming ESA.  Does housing benefit affect his social care needs assessment (ie is it taken into account when he is financially assessed?)  Thank you


  • Geo08
    Geo08 Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Can you claim ESA while you are a full time student? Haven't heard of that one before.

    However as a student, the answer is yes, if you have a disability that impacts you to the point where you get the other benefits you mentioned then you can claim for housing benefit. 

    In terms of the income calculation, a student load is very unlikely to take you over the minimum weekly income for them to start charging you. They do take PIP into account and any money your son has over £6000.

    In terms of the social care one, for those who are still of working age (students over 18 included) have their calculation made on the basis of their 'earnings' which is basically a wage or any other income related to assets (from what I can gather). It may take into account benefits but I cannot recall, but basically you're unlikely to pay anything or have any reductions.

    On a side note

    Do you mind letting me know how you get on with hiring people / getting the uni to adapt stuff - I'm not really sure about the level of need but enhanced pip indicates a need for personal care? Also what adaptations are needed to the uni halls (if you're son is going to live away from home?) for example, do you need a hoist?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @forgoodnesssake,

    Here's a link to some really helpful information from Turn2us about full time students and benefits. Hopefully it will provide the answers you need. 

    You can also get some help from the Disabled Students Helpline run by Disability Rights UK http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline.

    You can of course also speak to us at the helpline too :)

    Best wishes
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Dear forgoodnesssake,

    This all looks like good advice. Full-time students on PIP can definitely get income-related ESA but as people have explained, it does depend on the amount of student income including a student loan.

    The disabled students helpline Debbie mentions will be able to do the calculations for you if you know what student income your son will get. Even if your son can't get income-related ESA due to student income, he might still get some housing benefit.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.