Need help - Caring for friend who has complex mental health issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help - Caring for friend who has complex mental health issues

eco8lcy
eco8lcy Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Joining this  community because I need help with a complex mental health friend whose care and welfare has recently devolved on me. Problem began after a missed PIP assessment resulted in loss of benefits after almost a year the matter remains unresolved.  Without this support and care to live independently became unaffordable and I have been trying to supply this.  However, of late  suicide has become a game player and this coupled with paranoia (mistrust of society) has increased the stress and isolation.  I am hoping there are  others in similar situations here who can share their own experiences.  

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @Eco8lcy, welcome to the community, and I'm sure there are plenty of our community members who can share their advice and experiences with you.

As you mention immediate mental health needs I would advise contacting mental health charity Mind on their 0300 123 3393 helpline (local call rates apply), and taking a look at their very informative pages on 'Helping someone else'

I would also recommend calling Scope's free helpline on 0808 800 3333 for guidance on benefits and independent living. I hope this helps, and that you are able to help your friend get the support they need.
  • eco8lcy
    eco8lcy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for advice Chris will check these out My friend is very suicidal at the moment and this is affecting me I try to stay upbeat because I notice when I show concern or appear worried this increases their negativity.  However nonchalance is difficult to maintain when one is worried.   
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    If your friend is suicidal I would advise that you call Mind immediately as they are better positioned to guide you as to what steps you can take. I would say that this is the immediate concern and needs to be addressed without delay - once your friend's suicidal feelings have been dealt with, the underlying causes relating to benefits and other issues can be addressed at a later date, and this is something that Scope will be able to support with.

I'm also going to tag in @Debbie_Scope from the helpline in case they have anything to add.

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    Hello @eco8lcy

I'd like to have a chat with you if that's ok? Are you able to email helpline@scope.org.uk with your number (and user name so we can identify you) and we can arrange to call you and talk things through.

Many thanks
    Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.