Only getting lower rate PIP and we are struggling — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Only getting lower rate PIP and we are struggling

ChristopherBambury61 Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone. I have a disability. My disc's in the lower lumbar spine have gone. I need help as the DWP class me as disabled but the only help l get from them is lower rate PIP claim l dont get any other help and we are struggling. Can you advise or help please. Have a great day everyone. Chris.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Chris

    I'm sorry to hear about these difficulties.

    There are a range of benefits worth exploring. It's good to hear you are getting PIP but it may be that you should be receiving a higher rate of entitlement. If a PIP entitlement decision is wrong it can be challenged within one month of it being made and sometimes longer if you have good reasons for challenging late. If you are no longer in time to challenge the original decision you could ask for it to be looked at again if your circumstances have changed. I suggest you check the information about PIP on Scope's benefits page here and post again if you have further questions.

    Most other health/disability related benefits are either based on national insurance contributions or are paid only if your income/capital is below certain levels. If you have worked in the last two or three years you may be able to claim contributory employment and support allowance. If you do not have enough to pay for your basic essentials (food, clothes, utilities etc) then you may be able to claim income related employment support allowance.

    As well as health/disability related benefits there are benefits that are paid in specific circumstances such as housing benefit to cover the cost of rent.

    Without knowing more about your circumstances it is difficult to say what your entitlements are. You might like to discuss your specific circumstances with an adviser on the Scope helpline (0808 800 3333) or you could post again with more information about the type of costs you are struggling to cover.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.