Changing from DLA to PIP - any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing from DLA to PIP - any advice?

Elaine45
Elaine45 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am just in the midst of changing from.dla to pip on the dla I have no end date with it being a long term disability.  I am worried I may have to go for an assessment even though nothing changed if.not become uncontrolled I suffer with epilepsy have done now.for over 40 years any advice on what pip might do in this case please 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Elaine45

Have you received a letter from the DWP inviting you to claim PIP? If so it is important that you make the claim within the time limits on the letter as this will allow your DLA to continue whilst they are processing your PIP application. If you have not been invited to claim PIP it may be advisable to do nothing and simply allow your DLA to continue. Let us know if you need more help with this.

Assuming you do need to claim PIP bear in mind...

Unlike DLA, PIP doesn't have a generic supervision test. This means you cannot get PIP simply because you need someone to be with you in case you have a seizure. Instead you have to look at each of the activity areas within the PIP disability tests and consider what you can and cannot reasonably do. You can find out more about PIP on the Scope pages here.

When looking at the descriptors it is important to consider "how" you do each activity. It is not your absolute ability to do something but whether you can do things "reliably". In other words it is not whether you can do things or not, but whether you can do things safely, repeatedly, to a necessary standard and in a timely manner. For example it may not be safe for you to shower alone because of the danger of falling/hitting your head in the bathroom. Similarly you might need someone to be with you when going out because of the risks involved with having a seizure in an unfamiliar environment/strangers around.

It can be difficult completing the PIP application process and it may be important to help help from a service near to you. If you need help finding a local service i suggest contacting the helpline on 0808 800 3333.

David

The Benefits Training Co:

• newflady
    newflady Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi
    i suffer from epilepsy and have been on dla for 25 years, I was told dla was ending and I would need to apply for pip......what a nightmare!
    I went for an interview and was refused pip awarding me 0 points on everything! I was outraged.

i asked for a mandatory reconsideration within the 28day period and received a letter stating that my points went from 0-5 on daily living and 0-4 on mobility....again I was being ignored so I applied for an appeal but in the meantime my dla had stopped making things difficult.

i waited 6mths for my appeal in July 2017 and was a nervous wreck! After being called in the judge introduced herself and others and before I could sit down she said
    "I am awarding you the enhanced rate on both mobility and daily living" I could not believe it...she said DWP were totally wrong and with the state of my epilepsy this has been overturned to enhanced, with this I will get motorbility too ect

All I can say is don't give up! 7 days after the appeal I got a call from DWP saying that they have accepted the decision and back pay will be paid

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    @newflady

Well done!  Yes, don't let the DWP fob you off and don't give up.

I was on DLA indefinitely, highest rate both components.  Come PIP, I was first awarded standard rate both.  Tribunal awarded me enhanced rate both - but only after a 30 minute grilling - still, got there in the end.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.