Cannot work due to recovering from triple bypass also disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Cannot work due to recovering from triple bypass also disabled

hi my husband is in hospital waiting for a triple heart bypass he is also disabled can he claim incapacity benefit as his normal job is a driving instructor and he has to avoid stress


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Taliboo_58 you can have a look at the benefits information here and also there is a benefits calculator that might help. 

    Hopefully the benefits advisors will be able to offer more support.
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi Taliboo_58

    It is possible your husband could claim a benefit called employment and support allowance (ESA). He might be entitled to claim ESA in his own right depending on the level of national contributions he has paid or claim as part of a couple but that would depend on your circumstances.

    To advise you further I need to know if you are in work and if so how many hours do you do? If not, are you in receipt of any other benefits?

    In relation to your husband there is another benefit that he might also be entitled to claim called personal independence payment (PIP). However, you mention he is disabled and I wonder does he already get this or perhaps another benefit called disability living allowance (DLA)?

    Finally are you a homeowner or do you pay rent for where you live? And are you liable for council tax? Depending on your answers it may mean you are eligible for extra help with these things too.

    Please post back on here and we will advise you further.

    Best wishes


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.