Benefits for severe eczema — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefits for severe eczema

rho Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi does anyone know if u r entitled to help towards extra eczema products not provided for by the doctor and also laundry costs.


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rho

    Welcome to the community, you could try filling out the benefits calculator that will let you know any benefits you may be able to claim.

    Also have you heard of Watersure? If you get help through the Watersure scheme, your water bill will be capped. This means you will not pay any more than the average metered bill for the area your water company deals with.

    To qualify for Watersure you need to:

    • be on a water meter or have applied for one and be waiting for it to be installed, or be paying an assessed charge because it's not possible to fit a meter at your property  
    • be on certain benefits
    • have a high essential use of water.

    People who have one of the following medical conditions will automatically qualify for Watersure, as long as they meet all the other qualifying conditions:

    • desquamation (flaky skin disease)
    • weeping skin disease (eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration)

    Most suppliers offer this scheme if either you or someone in your household get one of the following benefits:

    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income Support
    • income-related Employment And Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit awarded at a rate higher than the family element.
    If you're struggling to pay your water bills and you don't qualify for Watersure, there are other schemes which may be able to help. You can find more information on the Water UK website at:

    Best of luck
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi rho

    You don't mention in your post if you are in receipt of a disability benefit so it’s worth looking at the benefits calculator as suggested by Sam.

    If you are working age and not in receipt of disability living allowance (DLA) it might be worth considering a claim to a benefit called personal independence payment (PIP). There is a useful self-assessment tool for PIP here

    Hope that helps and please post back on here if you require any further advice.

    Best wishes


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • JuihGuidelli
    JuihGuidelli Member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2017
    I use foderma serum on my five-year-old when her eczema flares up. Great stuff! I've bought every over the counter eczema lotion, and this serum is by far the best! It's the only kind I've used since I discovered it three years ago. I would recommend it to anyone of any age that suffers from eczema.

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    @JuihGuidelli is foderma serum over the counter? My daughter has eczema and is really struggling, I shall look out for it!
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.