Can anybody help? Working Tax Credits and paying council tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anybody help? Working Tax Credits and paying council tax

Options
gc123
gc123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have dispraxia depression I have just gone back to work and am claiming working tax I work 16 hour a week my local council are now saying I have to pay full council tax and rent is this correct I do accept I should pay something to wards my rent but it feels like I'm being penalized for going to work

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gc123 welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor section so I hope you will get some information soon.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @gc123,

It comes down to the terms of your rental agreement. If it says you pay the Council Tax separately then the council is right I'm afraid.

However, you can check the rules here.as there are a few discounts.

Also, you can ask your council if you qualify for their Council Tax Reduction scheme.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    gc123,

If you were previously on income-related benefits and now you are working, then  I would expect that you would get less towards your rent and less towards your council tax, but I can't say for certain whether paying full rent and council tax is correct - it will depend on many factors including your wages. Make sure that you have in fact got a valid claim for council tax reduction and housing benefit (if you were already claiming, and haven't moved, then going into work is a change of circumstances and you shouldn't have to claim again).

You should have got an extended payment where you got your previous level of housing benefit and council tax reduction for four weeks after your income-related benefit (for example, income-related employment and support allowance) stopped because you went into work.

Housing benefit is worked out according to your circumstances and income. Council tax reduction has a similar calculation, but it varies depending on your local authority. For the council tax, I agree with Markmywords - it's a good idea to check first that they've got your bill right BEFORE the council tax reduction is applied. For example, have they correctly given you the 25% discount if you live alone?

You could check your housing benefit and council tax reduction on the website turn2us, where there is a benefits calculator. It does take a while to fill in but if you know your postcode, your rent and your council tax band you should be able to get an indication of the amount of help to expect, if any.

Alternatively, you might want to ask for advice locally, for example there may be a disability information service in your area (check the council's website), or you could try the CAB.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.